Well it had to happen....
We got a big fat nil next to our name. I should have seen it coming really. As we all know WIngate are one of those sides you don't really wanna meet when the goals are flying in. They come with a plan to defend and defend and then defend again and then hit you on the break. Both their centre backs are real hardmen of non-league football. It's not that we didn't have chances as we had a fair few it miust be said. The first half was fairly even but I thought we shaded it to be honest.
We just strangely lacked composure or cutting edge in the box. But as I said you know this kind of turnaround is coming sooner. We can't keep scoring 3 and 4 every game and blow everyone away. A bit of a reality check. I'm sure the gaffer knew that W&F was gonna be a tough fixture for the lads after recent goal fests. I must admit I thought their goal was class and a very slick breakaway down the left. Typical Wingate really. We found their midfield quite sharp and difficult to handle. Sorry for Tom to let that one and it seems he got a nasty cut leg as the striker slid the ball underneath him and into the gaping net. A real smash and grab. Niko was our only hope first and had moments. Shane Gore is their goal proved to be the hero for them pulling off 2 great saves.
The one on the second half at the death was a great flying save but one I expected him to make. Right at the death Niko has a great chance but sadly he snatched at it and pulled it wide. I was thing he was gonna curl it to the other side but he went for the tighter angle and it proved to be our final gilt edged chance.
Not a great start to the new year but thankfully the last we'll see of this combative Wingate team. They are proving very pesky and noisy neighbours indeed! Onwards and upwards....
- Well it had to happen.... by PF1/1/2018 18:03Mon Jan 1 18:03:36 2018view thread
- Re: Well it had to happen.... by Mike Cox1/1/2018 19:38Mon Jan 1 19:38:45 2018
- Re: Well it had to happen.... by embee1/1/2018 19:45Mon Jan 1 19:45:15 2018
- Re: Well it had to happen.... by SteveHFC1/1/2018 20:18Mon Jan 1 20:18:58 2018
- Re: Well it had to happen.... by Mike Cox2/1/2018 11:47Tue Jan 2 11:47:07 2018
- Re: Well it had to happen.... by rwakeley1/1/2018 22:44Mon Jan 1 22:44:19 2018