Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Reply to "Re: My final Liverpool reference - for now"

You must log in or register before you can post an article

return to the front page

Re: My final Liverpool reference - for now

By rwakeley17/10/2017 13:09Tue Oct 17 13:09:03 2017In response to Top gaffer

Views: 2479

I spent Sunday watching YouTube vids of Liverpool all the goal compilations from 76-78-ish. It should be made compulsory viewing. It's good to reminisce. The movement, the goals......out of the ordinary, run of the mill stuff.
I know it sounds daft, the goals we are getting recently triggers those thoughts. They do look remarkably similar. The goals at Billers were identical to goals scored by Fairclough and Highway. We had 2 sublime crosses in the box Saturday, from which we scored the header - there's your Toshack. I look at the Jake and he's the closest thing I've seen to a fledgling Phil Neal, (yes I am aware he's on the other flank). If only he could take penalties!
Liverpool were clearly wholesale more direct in midfield. I look towards Saturday and just think Cole could have a field-day picking out passes. He could run the show by himself. With Matt and Casey we could already have at our disposal key transformational components. The progress this season rather than evolutionary has been revolutionary.
What I admire most about this Hendon side, is what I believe we can become. That early Liverpool side became the template for a succession, a dynasty. I believe there's an amazing amount of improvement that can come. That's the real positive.
No wonder why the Gaffer's smiling in the photo's. I presume that's the manager of the month award? Regardless - it says it all - And this is just the start.
P.S. I forgot to mention that Pool side of '78 only let in four goals at Anfield in the league - that says it all.

Edited by rwakeley at 13:12:07 on 17th October 2017