Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Reply to "FA Cup - Wingate & Finchley"

You must log in or register before you can post an article

return to the front page

FA Cup - Wingate & Finchley

By PF2/9/2017 19:54Sat Sep 2 19:54:07 2017

Views: 3163

Tough and typical cup game against a strong W&F side. The 6-0 was a distant pleasant memory and it was patently obvious from the get go that this was a whole different kettle of fish. They started off with pace and power and we just had to contain and stay compact. I don't think we really put in any worthwhile ball or play in an around their box in the first 20-25 but I could tell we were starting to settle down. Their keeper made a fine save although it was one of those "for the cameras" types IMO. Reis had a great chance though but it went wide.

HT and it was all square and fairly even. But Wingate did look strong going forward although I don't recall our keeper having a massive deal to do but the general play hinted that W&F were a strong outfit and weren't rolling over and dying like some might have expected after last weeks gubbing of HB. DOn't forget they won 5-0 themeselves at Staines which is perhaps even more impressive that our own performance.

Well it always happens don't it. A player goes back to his old club and scores a worldy. That was some free kick it has to be said but I always fear for us when the opposition gets free kicks around our box. Tom is a great shot stopper but always susceptible to a perfectly placed curler in the top corner and he had absolutely no hope with that one from ex Green, McCall.

We were in a spot of bother and I'll be honest I just didn't really see us scoring. We had had sniffs around the box but Wingate's rock solid defence seemed determined to see the game out and it looked like they had done. Last season we would have 100% lost this game but there's a stronger resilience about the side this year. The introduction of Casey Mac proved a wise one as he put himself about. Time was indeed running out and a chance or two had gone begging so that final move for the goal was a thing of beauty and also pretty simple when you think about. I hadn't actually noticed Bray marauding up the pitch and when the switch back cross went in I expected one of the centre forwards to be on the end of it but instead the big centre half glanced it superbly giving their keeper no chance. Surely even the most ardent Green in the crowd today wouldn't have seen that one coming! But in it went and queue relieved smiles but was there time for a winner. Well you know what there bloody well could have been. I forget who it was could have been Joseph? Anyway composure was lost and the chance was snatched wide and I was standing right behind it and had a perfect view of the opportunity for glory.

I think a win would have been harsh on W&F and not exactly what we deserved. We'll have to do it all again Tuesday and both sides deserve the chance to stay in the hat. I'm sure Wingate will be a bit pissed off though haha!