Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Reply to "Re: OT- Summer plans and activities? - Not long to go now!"

You must log in or register before you can post an article

return to the front page

Re: OT- Summer plans and activities? - Not long to go now!

By rwakeley29/4/2017 10:55Sat Apr 29 10:55:14 2017In response to Re: OT- Summer plans and activities?

Views: 2400

Basically a shout out to David C.
I reckon it's only about 78 days until I dust off those pesky train timetables again.
I think this is a fascinating pre-season. Blank canvass, I still maintain we have to get a truly definitive style at SJP.
I recall watching my local side 25 years ago, they would play one public pre-season game. The annual punch-up Senior Cup Final versus Shrewsbury Town. Eventually, The Shrews fielded weaker sides, they moved the fixture and the competition was undermined to the degree where teams outside the county were invited in. That's football.
I don't know if Hendon over-indulge but a dozen friendlies is more than most. I don't know if more targeted work on a specific squad is better than weeding out also-rans. There's a lot of burden early doors. Sometimes sitting in the baking sun, both teams appear to have understandably undertaken a serene, almost Buddhist approach. I can't recall the same starting line-up versus Worthing being replicated in any of the previous dozen games. Whilst others complimented Worthing, I thought we were in trouble. For our present system to work, you need definable qualities. I have no qualms with that - but you also need a plan B.
I'm optimistic, purely based on the assumption we can't possible do any worse at home! Dependent upon personnel, I still think there is considerable scope, irrespective of personnel to concentrate on the basics.
Mediocre teams took points from us. Define the roles. Finally, I reckon at least a dozen teams on the out-set wlll be targeting the play-offs. Teams will be rewarded for resilience.