Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Reply to "Re: Ollie Sprague and five-year plans"

You must log in or register before you can post an article

return to the front page

Re: Ollie Sprague and five-year plans

By John Rogers9/12/2016 15:36Fri Dec 9 15:36:08 2016In response to Re: Ollie Sprague and five-year plans

Views: 2777

I think there is a desire to get these promising young players under contract from the club, however there is no guarantee that the player will want to sign them. I know that Charlie Goode didn't want to sign one for whatever reason and that, ultimately, led to him moving for free at the end of 2014/5.

In Ollie's case, it is disappointing to see him leave, but equally hard to blame him. The chances are the offer from Billericay was too good to turn down from a personal point of view and anyone in any other industry or walk of life would probably have done the same thing. Billericay is substantially closer than Leiston is, which is another reason why I can understand this move a darn sight more than Niko's.

It is good that the club has been recompensed for Ollie's services, and he leaves with my best wishes.

I'd also echo Rob Wakeley's comments - I am proud that Hendon Football is completely debt free, lives within its means and remains competitive at this level. If the money isn't in the bank, we don't spend it. I don't know how I'd feel if a money man came into the club offering Gary £10k per week. I'd probably question his motives and start preparing myself for the moment his interest, or finances waned straight away.