Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Reply to "Inching closer..."

You must log in or register before you can post an article

return to the front page

Inching closer...

By John Rogers28/2/2016 11:26Sun Feb 28 11:26:23 2016

Views: 2842

Good day for the Greens yesterday. Three points against a side around us in the table and everyone below us failing to win.

It wasn't much of a spectacle on a terrifically uneven pitch, but with the help of an early goal direct from a corner (a first for me to witness live, I think), we looked pretty comfortable for most of the first half, despite conceding plenty of possession and territory. Staines looked like we did before Christmas, getting into some excellent positions in the final third and either failing to deliver a telling ball into the box or taking a pass too many.

Nicely worked second goal fairly early in the second half gave us a cushion and from then on, we looked really comfortable. I think Joe had to make one save in the first half when the flag was already up, and a really good reaction save early in the second, but was otherwise untroubled.

I thought the experiment of Kirby in midfield is worth repeating. He looked more comfortable there and he's certainly a good enough footballer for it - I think he spent some time with Enfield there. Garnett alongside Casey put in an encouraging debut. I like his build and he looked assured and unhurried.

If we can get a haul of points in our double header against Lewes, then we'll be in a position to really turn our attention towards next season and starting afresh, hopefully, at SJP.

Well done all yesterday.

Edited by John Rogers at 11:27:10 on 28th February 2016