Please note: this site will be unavailable between 4.30pm and 5.30pm on Wednesday 17 April due to routine maintenance

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Reply to "Balance"

You must log in or register before you can post an article

return to the front page

Balance

By Deadman15/11/2015 10:46Sun Nov 15 10:46:23 2015In response to Re: My own personal views - part 4

Views: 2959

We're shipping goals. Without looking, who can even remember the last clean sheet? Our left back is struggling one on one. He misses Taggs or Andre in front of him, no doubt. Our centre-backs have their moments but generally as a pairing lack height/aerial dominance/strength.

Our midfield lacks creativity. For the most part yesterday, our chances seemed to be created by the forwards themselves (a great turn, a decent shot etc). As stated by RW....there's a lack of genuine width.

Our forwards are lacking goals. Last season, Leon's brilliant back heel would have crept in, this season the keeper makes a great save. It's just not happening for them, so we can't rely on them to suddenly start scoring the 2s and 3s that we currently need to get points.

So, time to go 4-5-1? Or at least a 4-4-2 with hard-working wide men to protect the full-backs.

Picking the team is only part of managing a club but here goes (subject to availability in the short term!!) 4-5-1 in order to make us harder to beat. We're no good at chasing games at the moment so need to stay in games for longer.

Minter - Flegg Diedhiou Kirby Sprague - Murphy Short Morgan Cracknell DaCosta - Ibe

Of course, this is all subjective because there are knocks, attitudes, issues that we supporters aren't necessarily privy to. But essentially, let's try to get Murphy and Da Costa out wide to create, stretch and defend in equal measure. And get as much height into the defence as possible, not least because we seem to have a problem with corners at both ends. The 4-5-1 also, in theory, gives Morgan a platform to go on his runs and pick up the bits high up the field.

But deep down I wonder if the attitude of some of the players is right? Are people making themselves unavailable for selection because of routine knocks? Or are they genuinely carrying injuries that prevent them from performing at a decent level? I've seen it myself...players all want to play when things are going well but some do find excuses when things are tough.

Let's hope that whatever the team selection, we can get past Northwood tomorrow night. Even a lucky win on penalties would do for me.