We're shipping goals. Without looking, who can even remember the last clean sheet? Our left back is struggling one on one. He misses Taggs or Andre in front of him, no doubt. Our centre-backs have their moments but generally as a pairing lack height/aerial dominance/strength.
Our midfield lacks creativity. For the most part yesterday, our chances seemed to be created by the forwards themselves (a great turn, a decent shot etc). As stated by RW....there's a lack of genuine width.
Our forwards are lacking goals. Last season, Leon's brilliant back heel would have crept in, this season the keeper makes a great save. It's just not happening for them, so we can't rely on them to suddenly start scoring the 2s and 3s that we currently need to get points.
So, time to go 4-5-1? Or at least a 4-4-2 with hard-working wide men to protect the full-backs.
Picking the team is only part of managing a club but here goes (subject to availability in the short term!!) 4-5-1 in order to make us harder to beat. We're no good at chasing games at the moment so need to stay in games for longer.
Minter - Flegg Diedhiou Kirby Sprague - Murphy Short Morgan Cracknell DaCosta - Ibe
Of course, this is all subjective because there are knocks, attitudes, issues that we supporters aren't necessarily privy to. But essentially, let's try to get Murphy and Da Costa out wide to create, stretch and defend in equal measure. And get as much height into the defence as possible, not least because we seem to have a problem with corners at both ends. The 4-5-1 also, in theory, gives Morgan a platform to go on his runs and pick up the bits high up the field.
But deep down I wonder if the attitude of some of the players is right? Are people making themselves unavailable for selection because of routine knocks? Or are they genuinely carrying injuries that prevent them from performing at a decent level? I've seen it myself...players all want to play when things are going well but some do find excuses when things are tough.
Let's hope that whatever the team selection, we can get past Northwood tomorrow night. Even a lucky win on penalties would do for me.
- Fireworks at Earlsmead by Mike Cox14/11/2015 19:13Sat Nov 14 19:13:37 2015view thread
- Re: Fireworks at Earlsmead by Rainham don14/11/2015 23:15Sat Nov 14 23:15:47 2015
- Re: Fireworks at Earlsmead by Mike Cox15/11/2015 17:25Sun Nov 15 17:25:13 2015
- Re: Fireworks at Earlsmead by dw15/11/2015 00:25Sun Nov 15 00:25:56 2015
- Re: Fireworks at Earlsmead by John Rogers15/11/2015 01:05Sun Nov 15 01:05:37 2015
- Re: Fireworks at Earlsmead by BryanR15/11/2015 01:20Sun Nov 15 01:20:22 2015
- Re: Fireworks at Earlsmead by Rabster14/11/2015 20:31Sat Nov 14 20:31:09 2015
- Re: My own personal views - part 1 by rwakeley15/11/2015 02:01Sun Nov 15 02:01:50 2015
- Re: My own personal views - part 2 by rwakeley15/11/2015 02:07Sun Nov 15 02:07:28 2015
- Re: My own personal views - part 3 by rwakeley15/11/2015 02:17Sun Nov 15 02:17:23 2015
- Re: My own personal views - part 4 by rwakeley15/11/2015 02:27Sun Nov 15 02:27:29 2015
- Re: My own personal views - part 4 by rwakeley15/11/2015 02:33Sun Nov 15 02:33:35 2015
- Balance by Deadman15/11/2015 10:46Sun Nov 15 10:46:23 2015
- Re: Balance by John Rogers15/11/2015 18:58Sun Nov 15 18:58:53 2015
- Re: Balance by rwakeley15/11/2015 11:07Sun Nov 15 11:07:54 2015
- Re: Balance by John Rogers15/11/2015 13:04Sun Nov 15 13:04:48 2015