Re: Line in the sand
A few thoughts on recent events, with the caveat that the only red card I've actually witnessed was Aaron's first one against Enfield Town as work & church commitments continue to mean that I am unable to get to many games.
Firstly, Gary has got my full backing to get things sorted out both in terms of results/performances and discipline. We've all watched football long enough to know that we were going to hit a bumpy patch at some point - we've just done it in some style! I think Paul is right, that a certain amount is down to frustration. I may not agree with some of his signings, Mr Tajbakhsh being one of them, but I figure that if Gary is willing to give them a chance, then so am I. The same goes for Mr Shulton - Gary was clearly willing to give him another go, therefore so was I. Bookings for dissent not withstanding, I think Scott's played well in the games I've seen him in, and if he can cut out the dissent, I think we have a very good player on our hands.
Whilst 4 red cards in 12 games is very disappointing, and clearly three of them were entirely avoidable, I think we all need to remember that Aaron's red on Tuesday at East Thurrock was clearly a very poor decision by the referee. Even the East Thurrock reports have said as much. Also, as others have said, there's not a lot Gary can do once the players are on the pitch. Gary said after the Leiston game that lessons needed to be learnt - and I believe they will - and if they aren't, the players concerned will be shown the door. He's done it before, and he'll do it again.
Finally, we are fortunate that both Simon and Gary are approachable, and will listen to concerns from supporters. I know I was involved behind the scenes for a number of years, but I've had many conversations about players with Gary - and whilst we've not always agreed - I've always felt that he's respected my opinion, and I'm sure that goes for everything that has been said over the past few weeks. The same goes with Simon - I believe that he respects all our opinions, again whether or not he agrees.
We're fortunate that we have a couple of blank midweeks coming up, which will give Gary, Freddie & Scott some additional training time with the squad - and also ease the workload on the players before the next run of fixtures through October. Whilst going out of the FA Cup is always disappointing, maybe not having the distraction could work in our favour over the next few weeks, particularly as the FA Trophy doesn't start for another 6-7 weeks.
- Line in the sand by lesskinner13/9/2015 11:55Sun Sep 13 11:55:20 2015view thread
- Re: Line in the sand by Mike Cox13/9/2015 16:32Sun Sep 13 16:32:20 2015
- Re: Line in the sand by Simon13/9/2015 18:56Sun Sep 13 18:56:19 2015
- Re: Line in the sand by Claremont Man14/9/2015 14:18Mon Sep 14 14:18:20 2015
- Re: Line in the sand by David Smith13/9/2015 16:44Sun Sep 13 16:44:02 2015
- Re: Line in the sand by Hendonboy13/9/2015 18:40Sun Sep 13 18:40:47 2015
- Re: Line in the sand by rwakeley13/9/2015 17:18Sun Sep 13 17:18:35 2015
- Re: Line in the sand by SteveHFC13/9/2015 21:47Sun Sep 13 21:47:54 2015
- Re: Line in the sand by rwakeley13/9/2015 22:53Sun Sep 13 22:53:17 2015
- Re: Line in the sand by Mike Cox14/9/2015 12:00Mon Sep 14 12:00:44 2015
- Re: Line in the sand by David B14/9/2015 13:13Mon Sep 14 13:13:39 2015