Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Reply to "Re: Discipline"

You must log in or register before you can post an article

return to the front page

Re: Discipline

By rwakeley19/8/2015 20:47Wed Aug 19 20:47:21 2015In response to Discipline

Views: 5079

I don't think we have an endemic problem albeit I would advocate we have 'occurrencies' and patterns of individual behaviour which when arise due to the given characteristics of the individuals concerned has far reaching consequences for that performance and wider consequences thereafter.
For me there's a difference in the frequent actions of an individual and the team being the recipient of a shed-load of bookings for the teams inherent shortcomings on the field of play or seige mentality.
Managers have to man-manage all this stuff, publicly supporting the player, whilst either nurturing him or going ballistic behind closed doors.
Players call the shots as managers careers are judged by results not actions. I personally despise the continual antics of managers in the top flight with the millionaire stars and I feel sorry for the vast populous whom absorb every aspect of it all. I think it's pathetic.
On a similar vein, the only time I may have had a bone to pick with the gaffer on this issue was Kevin Mac's sending off at Lowestoft. When apparently, (I wasn't there), Hendon fan/s may or may not have abused Kevin as he left the pitch. I don't if anything did or did not happen so apologies if I am speaking out of kilter.
I do however know one thing - Had I actually been there I may well have been a prime suspect!
Managers will always put the players first, but it ain't good practice to chastise fans - even if your one hundred per cent correct.
Why mention this? At non-league grounds, individual comments by fans are heard with more clarity. A player, and yes we have previous in this regard, may well be more prone to react to hearing an individual comment than that of derision of a combined twenty thousand. That's not an excuse. I would always advocate that supporters have the right to express their views and vent their frustrations. Those of whom disagree for the best part think nothing of yelling for opposition players to be dismissed at every opportunity.
It maybe slightly unfair on that premise to expect players to act like Saints - but that is how it is.
I maintain Hendon could have possibly handled the more consistent offenders maybe somewhat differently, but then I don't know what goes on behind closed doors.
I express my emotions how I want. I police myself and really don't care what others make of it. If I stepped over the line I would recognize the fact - I expect those I support to act in a similar fashion. But I recognize we are all human and make mistakes. If it happens on a consistent basis then it's a problem. Personally, I can't stand seeing players remonstrate with the Ref, never have done and never will. I maintain it shows dis-respect and shows a lack of proper conduct. The players are representing the club.
That's my prerogative - How the gaffer and the club handle these matters is up to them.