Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Reply to "Re: My Pre-Playoff Rant"

You must log in or register before you can post an article

return to the front page

Re: My Pre-Playoff Rant

By Hendonboy15/5/2015 22:14Fri May 15 22:14:21 2015In response to Re: My Pre-Playoff Rant

Views: 2790

I actually agree with more or less everything posted above. From a natural justice and sporting point of view, there's never been any justification for promotion playoffs at the end of a standard league season.

With that said, given that we know the rules every season before we start (pending FA disciplinary processes) it feels a bit churlish to complain about them, especially since they've kept our interest in the league season going for quite a bit longer than usual in recent seasons, not least 2011/2 where we still had something to play for on the final day despite having been comfortably out of the race for the top two spots for quite some time.

Should there be more of an advantage to the second place club? Perhaps, but as playoffs are more or less a given these days I think I personally prefer a pure 4 way cup competition to settle things, even if we might feel hard done by if Margate beat us on Sunday.