Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Reply to "Gary McCann"

You must log in or register before you can post an article

return to the front page

Gary McCann

By igmc (legacy user)7/2/2015 18:04Sat Feb 7 18:04:19 2015In response to Gary McCann

Views: 4370

When David Ballheimer and Peter Lush's successors write the second volume of Hendon's history, the first chapter will be entitled 'The McCann Years'. His loyalty and commitment to the club during a period of huge upheaval has been beyond praise.

As a player, Gary was simply professional in his preparation and attitude. I remember one game against Sutton, when their keeper presented Paul Whitmarsh with a tap-in. The visiting supporter next to me asked, 'Can we have Gary back, please?'. I regret that my reply was a rather impolite refusal! I'm really struggling to think of him having a bad game. Good ones, plenty. Orient, of course. And a penalty shoot-out against Wembley in a cup final at Southbury Road. Two saves from Gary (and a winner from Freddie). We won't mention the one Gary took!

As manager, just superb. So glad the club persuaded him not to resign when he felt he could not do more. Kezie Ibe, in a recent Ham&High interview, said how good the atmosphere was in the dressing-room. I'm not surprised. Again, professional, and no doubt some fun too. I'm sure this is why Hendon have been able to attract both experienced pros, and loanees as their managers know they will learn good habits from Gary and Freddie. Not to mention the loyalty of the real club men who have stayed so long. It seems like there's hardly a week goes by without an appearance landmark. All that can only be down to the management. And all on a shoestring.

I don't know Gary personally, but the comments from the people who do don't surprise me. My first memory of Max in a Hendon shirt - the ball came up to his knees!

Thanks Gary.