I think John, the clearcut cases Dave B cites above aside, any match referee is putting himself in a position that's impossible to defend if he postpones a match based only upon any evidence provided by the home side and not an impartial* third party. As they will also have day jobs, they may not be in a position to receive certain types of evidence and they almost certainly won't be aware of pressures the club might be under that could cause them to want a game postponed (e.g. only goalkeeper is unavailable against a rival). It doesn't really matter where that evidence is coming from, nor the channel through which they receive it - they've got to distrust it as much as they have to ignore a player complaining about a red-card offence they didn't see during a match.
It seems to me that the only thing anyone could have done to avoid the situation on this occasion would have been to arrange a second inspection by a local referee at 4:30 or 5pm. For all any of us know, Graham may have attempted to do so and either been told not to by the match referee or unable to get an available and qualified local referee to do it.
* - I add the asterisk only to note that on occasion the impartiality of such officials has been called into question, most notably by our friendly near neighbours in blue when they were due to visit an injury stricken-Lowestoft Town side.
Hendon FC Supporters Trust
- Met Police by John Fordham12/1/2015 16:45Mon Jan 12 16:45:43 2015view thread
- Re: Met Police by Jake Osborn 12/1/2015 17:07Mon Jan 12 17:07:20 2015
- No one to blame by David B12/1/2015 18:00Mon Jan 12 18:00:18 2015
- Re: No one to blame by John Fordham12/1/2015 18:20Mon Jan 12 18:20:12 2015
- Re: No one to blame by Anonymous12/1/2015 20:00Mon Jan 12 20:00:18 2015
- Re: No one to blame by John Fordham12/1/2015 20:08Mon Jan 12 20:08:54 2015
- Not pointing fingers by David B13/1/2015 00:38Tue Jan 13 00:38:44 2015
- Pitch inspections by John Fordham13/1/2015 10:13Tue Jan 13 10:13:51 2015
- Interesting idea, but here's why it is not possibl… by David B13/1/2015 13:05Tue Jan 13 13:05:11 2015
- Re: Interesting idea, but here's why it is not pos… by John Fordham13/1/2015 15:37Tue Jan 13 15:37:01 2015
- Oh by David B13/1/2015 16:39Tue Jan 13 16:39:47 2015
- Re: Oh by John Fordham13/1/2015 17:52Tue Jan 13 17:52:07 2015
- Re: Oh by Hendonboy13/1/2015 19:11Tue Jan 13 19:11:43 2015
- Re: Oh by John Fordham13/1/2015 19:51Tue Jan 13 19:51:40 2015