The end of the world is nigh ...
… actually it isn't. Last night was hugely disappointment and strengthens my belief in bogeymen. All logic suggested we would win the game, but it wasn't to be.
A bad day at the office is probably not a bad summation of the match. Admittedly, we did not play anywhere near as well as we could, but we also suffered some incredibly bad luck to go with collective defensive meltdowns for all three goals.
Let's look a the positives: two or three years ago, when things went against us in the way it did last night, our discipline would have deserted us and we would have ended with nine or ten men; that never happened last night. Right or wrong, we never stopped trying to play football – a feature of Gary's time.
Maybe we should have been more pragmatic with our style, but we didn't really have the personnel to play that way last night. Even at 2-0 down I thought if we pulled a goal back within 10 minutes, we could have gone on to get at least a point.
Our chairman has a saying, "We are where we are," and he could not be more correct. Hendon is an above-average (just) Ryman Premier Division team, punching way above our weight. On our good days we are a match for the best in the division and above (look at the way we played at Maidstone just a few weeks ago - they have since hit Hampton for seven and won 3-0 at Kingstonian). But … when we are off our game, then we can lose to almost anyone. That is the nature of the beast.
Let's be positive and get behind the team on Saturday when we take on another team which has been prolific against us in two of our last three meetings. If we defend better, take our chances and keep our discipline, there is no reason why we can't beat Hampton & Richmond Borough.
- Have we got Wenger Syndrome? by rwakeley3/2/2014 21:51Mon Feb 3 21:51:32 2014view thread
- Enfield Game by richhend3/2/2014 22:40Mon Feb 3 22:40:07 2014
- Enfield Game by richhend3/2/2014 22:39Mon Feb 3 22:39:34 2014
- Re: Enfield Game by SteveHFC4/2/2014 08:35Tue Feb 4 08:35:16 2014
- The end of the world is nigh ... by David B4/2/2014 12:09Tue Feb 4 12:09:44 2014
- Re: Enfield Game by Jeff Hill4/2/2014 09:47Tue Feb 4 09:47:07 2014
- Re: Enfield Game by SteveHFC4/2/2014 10:30Tue Feb 4 10:30:54 2014
- Re: Enfield Game by mike cox4/2/2014 17:04Tue Feb 4 17:04:17 2014
- Re: Enfield Game by Paul Butler5/2/2014 13:28Wed Feb 5 13:28:38 2014