ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.hendonfc.net

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: On this day feature by David B25/2 18:57Thu Feb 25 18:57:41 2021view thread

Oldest article: Lowestoft away by Malc29/8/2013 19:10Thu Aug 29 19:10:33 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Reply to "My hendon"

You must log in or register before you can post an article

return to the front page

My hendon

By richhend (legacy user)23/10/2013 13:02Wed Oct 23 13:02:14 2013In response to My Hendon

Views: 16182

How long have you been supporting Hendon? My dad took me up the ground in the push-chair as a toddler and I have vague memories of the 65 & 66 Amateur Cup finals. Started watching regularly in about 1967 or 68.

What was your first game? Can't recall.

How did you find Hendon FC? Taken by dad as a toddler so it got into the blood from an early age.

Why do you support Hendon FC? Because it is my local side. I can never understand people who support a club with which they have no local connection.

Favourtite Hendon game? As others have taken a selection of my favourites I'll go for the away leg of the Barassi Cup in Italy. Fantastic headed goal by Tony Bass capping off a superb pass from Phil Fry out to the overlapping Gary Hand who supplied a pin point cross for the finish. Other supporters have mentioned the Slough relegation game. The same season we won another cracker 4-1 or 4-2 at Billericay. Steve Parsons played superbly and at the end the supporters went on the pitch to congratulate the players. Parsons, who always seemed a slightly dodgy character, backed away from the joyful Greens fans almost as if he thought they were going to attack him! Lastly, the 3-0 victory at Merthyr Tyffil in the FA cup. Just before the team came out, the Hendon supporters brok into a chant of "Come on Hendon" under that huge stand. It was deafening and I reckon the loudest noise I've ever heard a Hendon crowd make.

Favourite Hendon memory? The Rod Haider 'Pele' goal from the half way line against Enfield in the MSC semi-final in 1972 a week after the Wembley victory. The Sutton game, not for John Butterfield's 8 minute hat trick but another Rod Haider memory. It was a very rainy day and the pitch was very slippery. Rod got the ball out on the left wing. A lumbering great Sutton defender went charging in on him. Rod gave one of those little shimmies that completely fooled the Sutton bloke who was thrown completely off balance and slid right off the pitch on his backside.

Favourite team to play? Enfield as was and Wycombe Wanderers. Wycombe were always such a fine footballing side.

Favourite Hendon player of all time? Rod Haider. Quite simply the best player I've ever seen. Not sure if it was Charles Hughes the old England amateur team manager who said something like "He never has a bad game. They might not all be blinders but he never lets you down." Remember his 30 odd goals from mid-field in the one season. Remarkable given that forwards today struggle to hit 20.