Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Bobby Ellison by The Ancient One14/3/2020 14:39Sat Mar 14 14:39:27 2020view thread

Walton 1-1 Hendon

By John Rogers7/3/2020 22:20Sat Mar 7 22:20:34 2020

Views: 1836

A point was the most we deserved today. I couldn't fault the effort or work-rate and individually I thought everyone played reasonably well. Things didn't click at all in that final third, though, despite working a number of promising positions.

Just watched the manager's interview, injuries and knocks are clearly playing their part, Lucien was clearly struggling for a good 10-15 minutes before he was taken off and I hope Eddie's ankle knock isn't too bad.

We're a lot better off than we were three months ago, that said we're still some way off where I suspect Lee wants us to be next season. The next few weeks will be interesting in terms of finalising where we need to strengthen ahead of next term.

One slight concern I have is a lack of goals from midfield - 1 goal in 56 appearances between Corcoran, Forbes, Sambou and Kiangebeni. It's a minor point at the moment, but one that'll need improving if we're really looking to kick on next season.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Walton 1-1 Hendon

By rwakeley8/3/2020 00:26Sun Mar 8 00:26:45 2020In response to Walton 1-1 HendonTop of thread

Views: 1794

Based on the premise this is on the back of a night out. Here goes. Lee has us Sympatico. The mental state not the holiday resort on the coast of Mexico! He has us all on board. Seriously, this young man in charge. What an unbelieable talent. Character - Top notch. This young man is exquisite. This young man we have is exeptional.
On script. The only deviation for me. The analysis of execution. I do have a niggle. An irratable itch. 75 per cent of goals conceeded, goal times and all that, across the board, second half. It is a telling annoyance. Walton no win in 10. I have a notion on that. Certain teams do have a penchant for difficulty in combat. Today, I would have cut Hendon some slack. I don't think that is an inherent weakness.
But we have conceded 22 goals second half compared to 7 first half goals to date under Lee. That is by no means a criticism - more an observation. We have to see games out. Fine margins. I do think there is a characteristic becoming prelevant. The stage we are at. We are putting the weaker sides to bed. Two or three in the first half. Leading against the top sides - just falling short at the final hurdle - in some respects.
Just get more clinical. We are really close. The stats confirm it. The goal times are denoting it. We are on the precipice. Injuries aside. Well played Lee and the lads. You may not have got the result. The desire and the application - Just that tipping point - You are in the cusp. Personally, I have not been more prouder of a set of lads in a Hendon shirt in a couple of years. Well played.

I do like my stats!

By rwakeley10/3/2020 12:49Tue Mar 10 12:49:54 2020In response to Re: Walton 1-1 HendonTop of thread

Views: 1691

Having sobered up a tad. Nags Head - thanks, and following on from the above. I've been running my own stats from joining the Southern and compared to last season - No change!
31 games played 38 points - exactly the same as last season. This season, we have scored first a very impressive 60% of the time - last season 58% - I think this highlights an area to concentrate.
Ave goals per game scored last season - 1.52 - This season to date 1.52! And conceded 1.65 on each occasion.
This cannot be a co-incidence. There's something underlying this. I would personally advocate we are conceding to many in the second 45. Clean sheets this season, comes in poor at 5 in 31 games.
Despite our transformation in 2020, the vast majority of goals conceded come in the second 45. I do think this is the area we need to focus on. I personally believe we get an overall improvement is this area we notice significant improvement as I would also advocate we look threatening going forward.
Should be a good game tonight - rain clouds permitting. Enjoy.

Re: I do like my stats! - Goals!

By rwakeley10/3/2020 21:40Tue Mar 10 21:40:43 2020In response to I do like my stats!Top of thread

Views: 31626

Number-crunched some goal-time stuff. One absolute insane figure - This seasons league games at home, we have only conceded 4 goals in the first half! The not-so-good news, second 45, we've shipped 21. I think, most divisions would denote more goals in the second half, but not to that extreme.
This is further compounded by comparison with last seasons fortunes. End of season goals tally, obviously completely different, but yet again, exactly the same percentage, 68%, of goals conceded second half.
Another amazingly skewed stat. We rarely trail at the break. Incredibly, in 73 league games over the past 18 months, home and away combined we have only trailed at half time on a mere 15 occasions. I was expecting far worse! We've won a third.
During the Jan/Feb 2020 run, I do think we began to re-draft the trends with regards to upping the anti a tad in terms of dominance in the first 45. Getting that all important second goal. I've broken down the goals into 15min segments. My personal take, and it has been for a very long time - we need to be defensively in command second 45. Pretty sure we'll get there. One thing is for certain - We replicate our performances in the second halves as the first and next season, we will win the league by Christmas!

Previous thread: Player of the Month by The Ancient One6/3/2020 15:15Fri Mar 6 15:15:33 2020view thread