Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Salisbury thoughts by rwakeley22/2/2020 17:02Sat Feb 22 17:02:51 2020view thread

Poole - Pre-match baguette

By rwakeley18/2/2020 17:17Tue Feb 18 17:17:59 2020

Views: 1915

Just because I'm not there, same rules apply! I would love to see this one. They remind me of Weymouth. Got the lad Baker. Battle of the Brooksey's. Similar feel about them. No's 4 and 8 in this league, pivotal. They have a pair with 350 games each under their belts. Newish front-line. Ariel stuff, defending corners. A real examination tonight. Same number of games last season for them, ten points better off. Their becoming a dominant force. We need to win the midfield battle. Could be an absolute cracker. A real insightful night for the management. They look Connie South side in the making - So are we. This reminds me of games in the last 18 months against Weymouth and Billericay. A night to get stuck in. Looking forward to the feedback! Good luck to Lee and the lads. Proper game tonight.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Poole - Pre-match baguette

By rwakeley18/2/2020 20:23Tue Feb 18 20:23:35 2020In response to Poole - Pre-match baguetteTop of thread

Views: 7391

I was really looking forward to that type of dual tonight. My heart goes out to those on the way home. If it's any consolation, I have a hotel booked for next Tuesday. I could end up watching Wealdstone!
Poole specifics aside, I can't help thinking how these modern day cancellations correlate to past years. Present day pitches appear to be more pristine. Maybe the officials have more of a tendency to postpone. Other than trying to draw any conclusions based on the above, I can't really see anything anybody can do about it.
Safe journey home. Similar on-goings up at Salisbury tonight. They got their game on. Hopefully, we can take out our frustrations on them Saturday.
I was a tad disappointed on Saturday. I thought the conditions no more adverse than the previous home game. Potentially a tad farcical yes. I do like one or two games of that definition as part of a season long campaign. I like the prospect of games like tonight under the floodlights.
Head's up. Part and parcel of it all. Prepare for Saturday. We go again - Time to focus on another tough game.

By John Rogers18/2/2020 21:11Tue Feb 18 21:11:22 2020In response to Re: Poole - Pre-match baguetteTop of thread

Views: 1865

Waste of time and all that jazz. Late postponements happen, that's life at this level.

Complete lack of hospitality from the hosts really did chafe. We arrived, fans shut out of the ground, bar shut, no food available, no refreshments available after a four hour coach journey - not even a cup of tea.

Just hitting the M25 home. Effectively a 7 hour round trip for a McDonald's.

By iowgreens19/2/2020 11:21Wed Feb 19 11:21:40 2020In response to Re: Poole - Pre-match baguetteTop of thread

Views: 1811

sorry to see that you had a wasted trip and no thought of hospitality from the home club ie opening the bar etc...no wonder they have money worries,i think they did a similar thing to Salisbury the week before.so I suggest to poole town when having an early pitch inspection have a look at the weather forecast.....we did and saved a car ferry booking unlike the last cancelation we had there to our cost ,and also next time you purchase a pumping system make sure its man enough..

By John Rogers19/2/2020 15:21Wed Feb 19 15:21:58 2020In response to Re: Poole - Pre-match baguetteTop of thread

Views: 1781

I think I was probably in a minority of one in being relatively sanguine about the late postponement, but over the years we've been in the Poole's shoes with late postponements, notably at Claremont Road. Bath in the FA Cup springs to mind. It's unfortunately part of the game at this level.

That said, the lack of acknowledgement of the fact that we had travelled four hours down without a stop because of traffic did stick in my craw. When Weymouth travelled up last season in vain because of the snow, food was given away to visiting fans and players, tea, coffee, beer was all on offer.

By Simon18/2/2020 21:34Tue Feb 18 21:34:45 2020In response to Re: Poole - Pre-match baguetteTop of thread

Views: 1880

Same here.

I'm not lovin' it.

By cappers19/2/2020 20:47Wed Feb 19 20:47:44 2020In response to Re: Poole - Pre-match baguetteTop of thread

Views: 1807

If any of you were actually expecting to play a game of football last night then you were either very naive or unaware of the situation with Poole's pitch.

Despite the pitch passing a pitch inspection earlier on in the day, you only had to look at the weather forecast and understand that after a bit of rain the match would be called off. There probably isn't much you could have done though. Poole are a disgrace. They knew full well that a drop of rain would make the pitch unplayable but because they have so many games in hand (due to so many of their home games being postponed) they were prepared to risk it at your expense.

By John Rogers20/2/2020 10:13Thu Feb 20 10:13:19 2020In response to Re: Poole - Pre-match baguetteTop of thread

Views: 1814

Oh, we were fully expecting a call at any time during the journey down to Dorset telling us to turn around, I don't think we actually expected the game to go ahead. But what could we do? We had to go with the inspecting official's lunchtime call and travel down, there was no scope for us to point to the forecast and refuse to travel on that basis.

Previous thread: good luck and thanks by iowgreens14/2/2020 09:39Fri Feb 14 09:39:48 2020view thread