Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Different players, bad habits by John Rogers22/12/2019 13:03Sun Dec 22 13:03:57 2019view thread

Thoughts

By rwakeley14/12/2019 15:59Sat Dec 14 15:59:34 2019

Views: 1717

Something struck me about last week, so this week, having time to kill, thought I would go all in.
Everyone was hugely complimentary of the lads post Merthyr, I have an issue carried over since joining the Southern and last week brought the issue to the fore-front again. Performance wise, no problem, thought first half we carried a threat down the left, thought they played with a very high line early doors and has their away record is average at best it answers a lot from their perspective. Personally, I thought they were all-round more efficient last season. Key difference for me - A 2 goal lead. Last season, I bashed on about the significance of the first goal. The stand-out stats in this league for me. I wanted a look to date this season.
187 league games this season, (excl 0-0's). An incredible 122 games of these, the team scoring first has gone onto win. Hendon from day one are the one's outside the Venn Diagram. Even recently, Hayes away, B&F away, Tivvie, games we've been in front in - resulted in losing points. Last season, we lost numerous games 1-3, (never a flattering scoreline in my head), having taken the lead. Last Saturday, was pivotal for me in as we got that 2 goal cushion. I'm hoping as we are starting to see more positive passages of play we can really start to impose some genuine dominance over these sides.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Thoughts - What the Dickens!

By rwakeley19/12/2019 12:16Thu Dec 19 12:16:12 2019In response to ThoughtsTop of thread

Views: 13638

Sitting here having just signed off a Leccy Bill got me thinking!
Ghost of Christmas Present. Saturday. First time in living memory where I intend to head South with some genuine conviction and hope of a victory. I'm convinced we are more Scrooge like at the back and they appear to be short on fire-power up-front. The ideal game for us to cement our credentials and make a statement. I do think this game is actually quite important for the team. The Honeymoon period is over, it's time to get established and push on. A chance to really turn on the charm. I want to see these lads take this lot to the cleaners. I think we need it to galvanize us at this stage. Whatever manifests, it's going to an improvement on last season's encounter.
The Ghost of Christmas Past - Harrow! Back to Scrooge. No trains for me Boxing Day! Bah Humbug! We can't possibly let in four or five this time round - Can we? If we do, Christmas is cancelled!
Christmas Yet to Come. Chesham. I find that crew rather interesting. I perceive them as a half Ryman, half Southern combo. Physically strong, hard to break down.
The chance of putting a little un-beaten run together. Nice break in-between. I maintain these seasonal games are a tad un-predictable by nature. This year we need set some realistic targets. Not so much Great Expectations, more obtainable. A test of our resilience. I think it's what's required right now.
The final Dickens reference. "It was the best of times, It was the worst of times" - The lad seemed confused! Which was it! No in-decision here - 3 points Saturday.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Previous thread: Brilliant win by embee7/12/2019 17:16Sat Dec 7 17:16:24 2019view thread