Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Hopey! by rwakeley10/5/2019 13:56Fri May 10 13:56:00 2019view thread

Which league for next season?

By cappers4/5/2019 17:31Sat May 4 17:31:16 2019

Views: 2182

As Cheshunt won promotion today instead of Bracknell, do you think that means you will stay in the Southern League Premier South?

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Which league for next season?

By John Rogers4/5/2019 18:39Sat May 4 18:39:00 2019In response to Which league for next season?Top of thread

Views: 2119

Pass.

It may end up dependent on whether Bostik or Isthmian win the Super Play-Off next weekend although with the projection sheet I'm looking at having Bognor currently shifted across to the SLSP next season if Met Police go up (I'd have thought it would have made more sense for it to be Whingegate, Kingstonian or Corinthian Casuals if anyone needed to come over) I suspect we're more likely to remain than shift.

With the FA though, literally anything remains possible.

I'm a Hendon Fan - Get me out of here! - Part 1

By rwakeley10/5/2019 09:52Fri May 10 09:52:34 2019In response to Re: Which league for next season?Top of thread

Views: 8321

I hate it! It's like being in Munchkin-land! Seriously. Dorchester's average height - four foot tall! We had Stephane and Bayley Brown in contrast. What Arcane Land, must we have come from! It was all the ruddy same. Can't recall a decent winger! The entertainment - The worst act I've seen since The Osmonds!
Then the logistics. I went to Hartley Wintney - and I still don't know where the hell it is! A strange woman turned up on a sleigh and offered me some Turkish Delight! "Welcome Prince of Narnia" she exclaimed!
I have a deluge of thoughts on all this. I have one on the football, which would have caused offence to the Race Relations Board - and invariably got me banned from Twitter! In all seriousness, I don't think we belong. I watched my local side, Telford, in the early days of the APL/Conference and teams had a very regionalised identity. Alty, Northwich Vics, Runcorn - complete contrast to the Southern based Enfield and what would become Barry Fry's Barnet. The North reigned supreme in FAT and league around 79' by the middle of the decade post the sterile Scarborough and Wealdstone double - it changed - the South took over. I feel we are in a similar state of flux, in that change-over phase. We lack an identity. Which league we end up in, for me, galvanizes the way forward.

Part 2

By rwakeley10/5/2019 10:01Fri May 10 10:01:45 2019In response to I'm a Hendon Fan - Get me out of here! - Part 1Top of thread

Views: 1956

I worry about the standard in the Southern option. It maybe the 'soft' option. Last season. 70 points to reach the play-offs. I went back over our past 10 year league record. The average points tally to reach the play-offs - 77! Even Weymouth, fell short on the average champions tally by a couple of wins. Not a great indication. By comparison, I could only find one season, 2012-13 in the Ryman which was identical in its final computations. That year was washed out. Come 31st Dec we had 18 points from 18 games and yet finished a credible tenth. We ended up playing a massive 10 league games in the final month. I have no doubt the Isthmian is a stronger, and importantly, more diverse league. My most telling game last season - the match-up with Harlow. Taking nothing away from us, (Chaps again outstanding), we were at least competitive. My muckers from W&F have over recent seasons touched on their decline/manager turnover. Not surprising to see both sides struggle. Despite the more difficult headwinds, I do think we benefit, and more opportunity to re-build in the Isthmian. Interesting times.

Re: Part 2

By geemickey10/5/2019 14:03Fri May 10 14:03:26 2019In response to Part 2Top of thread

Views: 1934

Surely main considerations, in no particular order, should be :

1. The wear and tear and travelling time involved in away games for the team, management and the supporters.
2. The costs of travel.
3. The players' & prospective players' attitude to Southern v. Isthmian
3. The likely home attendances - ie. including visiting fans
4.. The prospects of progressing to promotion.

I reckon that, despite mileages, Hendon would still be better off in the Southern, avoiding M25 etc. but in the end clubs have to take what they get !

My issues lie elsewhere

By rwakeley10/5/2019 16:22Fri May 10 16:22:40 2019In response to Re: Part 2Top of thread

Views: 1930

Valid points. I have a problem in all this. I maintain history in football is a great leveller. Expense wise - no idea of what goes on. I would say that according to Rac Route Planner, there's no discernable travel difference from Tonbridge to Truro as there is from Hendon. That's where my problem starts. For me, several clubs in the Ryman have traditionally been Southern League. - Let alone geographically. Teams next to Brighton on the coast, are not deemed Southern enough! So the geographical debate for me is never going to end. The bigger problem I have, is that the Southern is being diluted and watered down in terms of quality. I think this is an opportunity to really inject some traditional life - a kick up the arse - into the Southern League. In terms of tradition and quality control, I do maintain it's very much needed. These people are looking at maps and don't understand the traditions or characteristics, let alone the consequences of their decisions. Not just being a Hendon fan with a view - I think they have this wholesale wrong. For the sake of the feeder leagues, and their viability let alone their ability to survive at a higher level, I worry they could be doing more harm over the medium term than good.

Previous thread: David B by The Ancient One9/5/2019 08:16Thu May 9 08:16:48 2019view thread