Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Basingstoke by dw2/3/2019 22:41Sat Mar 2 22:41:22 2019view thread

Weymouth

By SteveHFC27/2/2019 08:15Wed Feb 27 08:15:46 2019

Views: 2069

No text

Edited by SteveHFC at 05:07:24 on 11th March 2019

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Weymouth

By Dorset Don27/2/2019 16:56Wed Feb 27 16:56:44 2019In response to WeymouthTop of thread

Views: 8544

Agree with all of that Steve. Thought it was a cracking game and superbly officiated by a good referee. Very good advert for non league football. Gutted about the outcome - Greens were good value for at least a point but the Muff gave us a lesson in taking their chances. Hopefully our fortune will change on Saturday but we need to hit that high tempo first half performance throughout.

By Dessie27/2/2019 09:26Wed Feb 27 09:26:56 2019In response to WeymouthTop of thread

Views: 2018

Yes we were undoubtedly better last night, but we should have been out of sight by half-time. Their keeper made no more than one or two decent saves, it was more a case of missing the target time after time. I feared the worst at half-time because Weymouth couldn't possibly be so lax for the second half and so it proved.

Big concern is that in the last two games we have conceded four goals from shots 20-30 yards out. I'm not including the freak 50 yarder on Saturday. That tells me we are allowing too much room in that part of the field, for all the terrier work further up the pitch from Harriott and Hope we lack protection.

Personally I think it was a reasonable choice to replace Danny in goal but the experiment did not work.

By rwakeley27/2/2019 17:12Wed Feb 27 17:12:05 2019In response to Re: WeymouthTop of thread

Views: 1988

I think the lad Hope is the best central midfielder I've seen in a green shirt for some time. Great awareness. Flourishing partnership with Matty. Established as the fulcrum of the team - which is also a major concern. Late-on Matty left a percieved trailing foot, (diplomatic), he appologized and the game moved on. Could have gone - a'la last month similar red. Despite the clear upside. I also think a spanner in the works along those lines, and there is still an underlying fragility. Since Hope came on board, it's driven home a problem I've had all year at SJP and even more last night. First/second half 45. A lot of games, early second half we have struggled. I had put some of it down to various factors - last night not so. First half we played high up the field. Second, the lad Zubar, playing in that Brewer/Staines distribution role. They pinned us back. We have tended to sit deeper in the second half, losing any midfield guile and just going long. Raises another point. The lone man Toomey/Connor too much dropping off. All systematic. If we are continuing to improve - link-up play becomes paramount. Impressed with their corners (centre-halfs a dozen-ish goals), our delivery likewise, ( a very pleasant surprise after the short-corners Saturday). Charlie Smith and the lad Sergio, very impressive. In terms of recruitment, the gaffer has done very well. Weymouth, best side I've seen. A very good yard-stick of Championship-esque requirements. Physically robust where you would expect it and pretty obvious strengths.
Rammed home a lot of where we are at. On Saturday, I was be-moaning that may have been amongst the worst performances I had seen in years - last night - very insightful, promising, and a good indicator of what we need to work towards. Words like consistency and potential spring to mind. Keep striving - there's some decent lads out there with a point to prove. Onto Saturday.

By John Rogers28/2/2019 10:13Thu Feb 28 10:13:09 2019In response to Re: WeymouthTop of thread

Views: 1928

The difference between Saturday and Tuesday night was immense. Especially in the first-half. I did have a little concern at the break as to whether we would be able to maintain that level of intensity and it proved a little too much.

We simply have to match that from here-on-in though and take our chances when they come. In that first half we bossed one of the best sides in the league. Coming up, we have three vital matches against Basingstoke, Staines and then Hartley Wintney. I firmly believe that a replica of Tuesday night's performance will see us right. A replica of Saturday and we are buried - simple as that.

Over to you, lads.

Previous thread: Gosport by rwakeley24/2/2019 01:22Sun Feb 24 01:22:38 2019view thread