Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Good solid point on the road by rwakeley17/11/2018 18:16Sat Nov 17 18:16:58 2018view thread

The Tandem Show

By John Rogers14/11/2018 12:10Wed Nov 14 12:10:50 2018

Views: 2102

Last night I was struggling to remember any more than two genuine overhead kicks in my time watching Hendon that have gone on to ruffle the old onion bag. Bontcho against Canvey Island and I remember Eugene getting one against either Carshalton or perhaps Basingstoke once as well. There was Freddie's against Basingstoke from just outside the penalty area, but that was more of a scissor volley than a genuine bicycle kick.

Anyway. Shaq has been a revelation since joining the club. On Saturday I felt that he was the one player to rise above the dross and who looked likely to create something, last night second half he was pretty well unplayable at times and his strike rate is right up there. Indeed, in terms of league starts / goals, we now have:

Ricky - 11 goals in 9 starts (plus 2 sub)
Shaq - 6 goals in 6 starts
Connor - 3 goals in 3 starts (plus 1 sub)

The second half last night was probably, with the exception maybe of Dorchester away, the best I've seen from the side so far. The key difference is that clinical edge that has been lacking in the last couple of weeks at times. All five goals were excellently taken (actually, make that all six, their free-kick was outstanding too) and Connor seemd to thrive as the main man and having the pace of Shaq, Gianni and Shaun Lucien feeding off of him. Food for thought for Jimmy.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: The Tandem Show

By Simon14/11/2018 22:34Wed Nov 14 22:34:01 2018In response to The Tandem ShowTop of thread

Views: 8771

Bontcho at Blackpool.

By ChrisHFC15/11/2018 15:56Thu Nov 15 15:56:31 2018In response to Re: The Tandem ShowTop of thread

Views: 1915

Indeed, but Bontcho didn't score - or ruffle the old onion bag as John put it - as we lost 2-0 to Blackpool.

By rwakeley14/11/2018 17:21Wed Nov 14 17:21:49 2018In response to The Tandem ShowTop of thread

Views: 1995

On the back of Biggles, probably the perfect game at the right time. We have now scored first in 10 out of 12 league games. Nice trait. These lads looked primed. Mentally and physically. Star of the show for me was the lad Lucian. Playing around the half-way line, I thought he looked purposeful going forward, linking up when necessary, also dropping back, always available. The lad Cole, in contrast, is a real handful. Different styles, very individualistic. I've been optimistically looking at how the season may pan out. Both our previous play-off campaigns (inc cup-ties, excl play-offs) were identical in the games played. 36 games before New Year and 28 after. Should we go out the MSC in January we are scheduled to play 10 games less. Recalling how every game from February in those season's felt like a cup-final, I think this is a telling consideration. Squad-wise the gaffer maybe, able, in a perfect case scenario rotate and rest a few. This is a different curtailment than the past. It may prove far more beneficial. Time will tell. My main take-away from last night. The desire of the lad's and simply how much these guy's just appear to be enjoying playing together. It's infectious, maybe some of the players have bought into getting a new lease of life. Long may it continue.

By Deadman15/11/2018 10:11Thu Nov 15 10:11:55 2018In response to Re: The Tandem ShowTop of thread

Views: 1984

These were the first Hendon overheads I've seen (although I've only attended a fraction of the Hendon games that others have).

I once saw Jonatan Johansson score two for Charlton v West Ham in a 4-4 draw and one against Exeter in an FA Cup Tie.

I also saw Trevor Francis get one for QPR (right at the end of his career) v Charlton at Loftus Road.

I think that sometimes players get away with dangerous kicking when they try it simply because it's an attempt on goal but if you did it in the centre of the pitch, you'd probably get a yellow card (or these days, even a red!) I speak as someone who once spent an afternoon in Hillingdon Hospital A&E after an opponent attempted one just as I was clearing a corner with my head! It's a bit like the Dil-Scoop; great when you watch a batsman play it; not great when you are the wicket-keeper in a club game, standing up to the stumps, nearly getting hit with a combination of ball and bat!

Edited by Deadman at 10:13:10 on 15th November 2018
Edited by Deadman at 10:13:49 on 15th November 2018
Edited by Deadman at 10:15:55 on 15th November 2018
Edited by Deadman at 10:16:27 on 15th November 2018

By dw15/11/2018 22:28Thu Nov 15 22:28:26 2018In response to Re: The Tandem ShowTop of thread

Views: 1929

Musn?t forget Uche Egbe versus Leyton. There again, it depends who saw it. I recall it was in extra time and many supporters didn?t bother to change ends so had a very distant view. I was there with very few spectators. It was stunning - never to be forgotten. Those down the other end thought it was a fluke. No way. Nor were Shaquille?s 2 on Tuesday. What an amazing achievement! Thank you, Alan Wood, for the record.

Edited by dw at 10:26:15 on 16th November 2018

Overheads and hat-tricks

By David B16/11/2018 13:46Fri Nov 16 13:46:02 2018In response to Re: The Tandem ShowTop of thread

Views: 1964

Alan Campbell at Slough, c. 1977. Boncho v Canvey Island, on his first start, but as you say very few.

As good as Shaq?s hat-trick was, can anyone remember a worse or less deserved hat-trick than Rob Haworth?s ?trio? in a League Cup win at Wingate & Finchley in about 2003. Only the generosity of W&F gave him the hat-trick. His first was a shot which struck a post, bounced out, hit the goalkeeper three yards out and rolled back in. No.2 was a punch from the goalkeeper, who got above Haworth as they challenged for the ball at a corner. The third was a deflection, but not the sort to be an o.g.

Previous thread: Structural configurations by rwakeley11/11/2018 12:06Sun Nov 11 12:06:25 2018view thread