Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: I think it's time to deconstruct by rwakeley21/10/2018 00:15Sun Oct 21 00:15:43 2018view thread

Wealdstone-esque

By rwakeley14/10/2018 00:55Sun Oct 14 00:55:32 2018

Views: 2316

Upon reading our latest acquisition I sought solace in the Wealdstone forum (history). Sure enough, the picture unfolds. Our gaffer has clearly sought solace in a top lad. Someone in the same timeframe alongside the likes of Beckford and Jolls. He looks the part having gained some physical growth. A lucky break perhaps, but something which can clearly add a cutting edge. That Stones side had the likes of Godfrey and Matt Ball in support and without being critical, I maintain that is icing on the cake as far as we are now positioned. As to how Friday's addition changes the formation (2 up-front as opposed to 3), that's almost immaterial as the pieces fall into place. Fantastic addition - great attributes - an en-hanced version of a Mazzone type - and then some. Well done to all.
As for today, in that context, both teams, every goal a by-product of failing to defend on the edge of the box. Characteristics bourne out by link-up play through-out the middle. We miss our centre-half, but must do better in the basics irrespective. Impressed with Chapps overall delivery. The midfield, now is clearly the key - it needs similar evolution. But wow, where we are - frustrating aspects aside - magnificent job. Growing increasingly in admiration of the guy at the helm. Today was a small step for the play-offs and a giant step for Hendon-kind. Well Done.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Wealdstone-esque

By SteveHFC14/10/2018 12:45Sun Oct 14 12:45:13 2018In response to Wealdstone-esqueTop of thread

Views: 9033

I saw Connor play a couple of times for Barton Rovers (their ground is only 15 minutes drive from home) when Jimmy was manager there, and he looked very good. Was approached by a Farnborough fan ahead of the game yesterday, who was very complimentary about Connor. Certainly looked like he has plenty to offer based on the half hour or so he played.

Really impressed yesterday, not so much with the quality of the football on offer - the pitch certainly didn't help there, but with the character, commitment and desire we showed to fight back twice, and go on to win the game. It was a real team performance, everyone contributed to the victory.

The other impressive thing was the amount of travelling support - Daz and I reckoned there were at least 80 of us there before the game, don't know what others think.

If you'd offered me 3Q in the FA Cup and 2nd in the league in mid October at the start of the season - regardless of whether Gary or Jimmy was the manager, I'd certainly have taken it.

Looking forward to seeing what the next few weeks have to offer.

By Deadman14/10/2018 20:14Sun Oct 14 20:14:23 2018In response to Re: Wealdstone-esqueTop of thread

Views: 2167

Very impressed with our new forward, Connor Colcutt. He looked strong, mobile and very good in the air (winning headers at both ends of the field).

The football was a bit grim at times, not helped by lumpy pitch and longish grass but the recovery was excellent and we just about deserved our win. We're starting to find new sources of goals now and that's got to be a good thing.

Agree about the away support. The great weather undoubtedly helped but it was great to see so many Hendon followers at the game.

By rwakeley16/10/2018 22:49Tue Oct 16 22:49:06 2018In response to Re: Wealdstone-esqueTop of thread

Views: 2029

On their forum again, looking at anything on another acquisition. Their talking stats. I can do better than that. Wait till you read this utter trash. Wenger believes a club needs 2 years to settle in a new home. Excluding play-offs - 50 league games at SJP win rate 44%. Away games, prior to last Saturday, 50 matches, win rate, rather spookily 44%. 2 very different seasons, but odd none-the-less. That got me thinking - Which England Test Batsmen best represents that kind of return. A 44 test match average - 3 England players - Cowdrey (Sr), Thorpe and wait for it - David Gower! Since moving to SJP we have become the David Gower of non-league football! Some, I know will be impressed - he does spilt opinions.
50, is generally recognised as a comprehensive average. Only one England player as an exact 50 average. I give you, your very own, ex-Hendon Denis Compton esq. Top lad, clearly play-off material in his own right. I reckon tonight, The Terras have gone all Len Hutton. We still have the higher average per game, around Kenny Barrington levels. Salisbury coming good, no surprise. They remind me of Joe Root - don't know why!
Hoping at the end of April to go all Herbert Sutcliffe! If only we could find ourselves a masterful Yorkshire chap!

By John Rogers16/10/2018 23:08Tue Oct 16 23:08:09 2018In response to Re: Wealdstone-esqueTop of thread

Views: 2300

This post... Well, bravo!!! (Neither Darren nor Dwayne)

By Bomber18/10/2018 10:38Thu Oct 18 10:38:54 2018In response to Re: Wealdstone-esqueTop of thread

Views: 2115

First time seeing the "new" team on weekend, and was really impressed. Apart from the two goals thought we looked solid, and was good to see the midfielders get the ball, and their first instinct was forward. Impressed as well with the chances created, which wasn't easy on that pitch tbf.

When you think how long it took us to "bed in" after similar rebuilds in the last few years, a huge amount of credit to the management for getting us playing so well, so quickly. 2nd in the league seems scarcely believable considering the summer shenanigans.

Nice little club as well - really pleasant, and the locals were friendly as well. Good day all round.

Previous thread: No complaints by rwakeley10/10/2018 21:59Wed Oct 10 21:59:09 2018view thread