Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Last night by John Rogers3/10/2018 09:54Wed Oct 3 09:54:58 2018view thread

Dorchester saturday

By Dorset Don26/9/2018 12:24Wed Sep 26 12:24:05 2018

Views: 2249

Assuming that we get a decision sometime from the FA on this fixture not being replaced by a Saturday FA Cup Tie, if anyone wants any information or recommendations of places to eat and drink give me a shout as I work in Dorch.

For those who haven't been to the Avenue Stadium you will find it to be one of the best at this level of football, it really should be graced by a team playing at a much higher level.

The stewards are pretty officious for anything petty such as standing or leaning against the wall (seriously), but don't get involved in anything important that kicks-off.

The ground itself is in the middle of nowhere but the Town is about 10 - 15 minute walk away.

See you there - unless we find ourselves at home to Phoenix, Lancing or anyone else on Saturday in the Cup.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Dorchester saturday

By rwakeley29/9/2018 18:07Sat Sep 29 18:07:10 2018In response to Dorchester saturdayTop of thread

Views: 2117

Not being present always difficult to draw conclusions. At half-time sitting at home watching the golf - thoughts of movement up-front and creativity abound. 45 mins later look's like a procession. Despite riding high, and not wishing to sound disparaging I am personally struggling to be totally convinced. Drawing conclusions is somewhat difficult. I do worry we are overly-dependent on Ricardo for goals. Noticeable ex-greens Kearney and Mazzone are hitting the net. I was somewhat surprised Kearney was let go, even if not part of the gaffers plan's - just as an option. I watched their vid at Beaconsfield they looked rank average. An expansive environment down there. Plenty of midfield bustle and no chances anticipated based on our previous visit. In that context we have done really well today. If it is Chippers next week - reminds me of Eastbourne B. The last time we defeated a higher ranked side. Taking some solace in their struggle v Supermarine - I think they look a very workmanlike side. Quick tempo passing. A prospect in the pre-season lad Jarvis. Noticeable how they struggled against the Morgan-esque lad Danny Mills at home to Welling. Food for thought. I feel about Hendon now the way I felt going in against Eastbourne and that great cup win at Dulwich. Not totally convinced, but then a truly magnificent performance. Either way, if we are at a similar development stage, it's noticeable that within 12 months we were flying. For today, very well done lads, despite not being there - backing you all the way. Keep working hard - you are on the right track. Well Done.

Beating teams from higher levels

By David B30/9/2018 18:47Sun Sep 30 18:47:49 2018In response to Re: Dorchester saturdayTop of thread

Views: 2016

Rob, not quite right on your bit about Eastbourne Borough being the last team we beat from a higher level. The last team we beat from a higher level in an FA competition was Bath City in last season?s FA Trophy. Before that, the last team we beat from a higher level in the FA Cup was Corby Town, one round after Eastbourne Borough. Also last season, of course, we beat League Two Barnet in the Middlesex Senior Cup.

Re: Beating teams from higher levels

By rwakeley1/10/2018 07:59Mon Oct 1 07:59:15 2018In response to Beating teams from higher levelsTop of thread

Views: 8924

I was aware of my statto interpretation and had excluded the FAT. The one thing trawling through comparative records with Chippers was that their FAC record is somewhat unimpressive. Only in the last couple of seasons, correlated with their rise up the ladder has it really taken higher level sides, from their perspective to dump them out. I had traced the past decade of FAC games and could only find two seasons where Chippers had out-performed us and that was only on the two seasons we have gone out at the first attempt. I could not find the last time Chippers had actually beaten a side from a higher level themselves within the past decade. They may have in the FAT. As a complete saddo, I also looked at Isthmian League vs Southern Prem teams in the 4thQ and beyond. It's a Ryman demolition. Far more Isthmian teams have progressed to the 4thQ - however, those from the Southern Prem tend to do generally as well. Those Southern teams that generally progress the farthest are usually sides pushing promotion, suggesting these things are correlated. Good cup run - good season. All good fun - should be down tomorrow - (hopefully), looking forward to seeing the lad's write another chapter/progress.

Edited by rwakeley at 08:08:45 on 1st October 2018

By Deadman30/9/2018 10:09Sun Sep 30 10:09:12 2018In response to Re: Dorchester saturdayTop of thread

Views: 2120

It was a game that we could have quite easily have been chasing. Their forward missed an open goal with his head in the first minute of the second half and that seemed to knock the stuffing out of Dorchester.

Despite a lot of misplaced passes in the 1st half, I felt our midfield got hold of the game and as the game moved into the 2nd half, there were some very big gaps to pass through. Hippolyte caused a mountain of problems for their left back and German came alive. Dorchester had the odd flurry (mainly down our left) and did put over some good crosses but our keeper was positive and our centre-backs good enough in the air (apart from the 46th minute open goal miss!)

As for the penalty appeals, I wasn't sure about the first one, a bit more sure about the 2nd and certain about the 3rd (audible boot on boot sound as he got taken from behind).

Dorchester became increasingly ragged and there seemed a real lack of belief. We finished the game on a high and I was left wondering whether it was actually a touch of superior fitness as well as class up front which tipped the balance.

This was a good but slightly flattering win. The 1st half was pretty grim albeit not through the lack of effort. The 2nd half was very encouraging.

By John Rogers30/9/2018 12:50Sun Sep 30 12:50:54 2018In response to Re: Dorchester saturdayTop of thread

Views: 2075

The first half felt like a bit of a friendly for the most part. Both sides making use of the good surface to stroke the ball about nicely in their defensive and the midfield thirds, but with very little penetration in the final third. That said, what chances there were fell to the hosts and they looked the better side in the first period.

Unfortunately, I missed the opening minute of the second half, hence missing the sitter from the Dorchester striker just after the break (apologies for that) - I thought we were the better side in the second period by a reasonable distance, particularly after we'd gone ahead.

I thought Luke slotted in alongside Romario nicely after Guri went off, Romario continues to quietly impress when he keeps things nice and simple. Also thought Matty Newman added a little bit in midfield, he was industrious, energetic and used the ball well - there were promising signs of Ricardo and Shaq linking up nicely in the second half as well. It's good to see Shaq get another goal, it looks like he might be able to share a little bit of the goalscoring burden.

A good afternoon, a lovely drive down to Salisbury and then through the heart of Wessex, and then back through the New Forest and a couple of nice Hampshire towns to avoid the M27. Dorchester's ground is without questions the best I've been to for quite some time, it's big but you don't feel lost in it like you did at, say, Kingsmeadow. Friendly bunch too, met a familiar face who is a Dorch fan who was down from London visitng family - was good to chat with him for a bit too.

Still think there is a sticky run to be had at some point where results don't come, but once again the effort, application and togetherness was absolutey spot on. Well done, boys.

I noticed that Lancing won 8-4 yesterday with one of their lads netting six of the goals. It won't be easy Tuesday, hopefully we can get through though and bank a further £9k.

By Dorset Don30/9/2018 19:54Sun Sep 30 19:54:17 2018In response to Re: Dorchester saturdayTop of thread

Views: 1999

Agree very much with Deadman and John Rogers in their respective assessments. First half we weren't really at the races although when we did venture forward I felt we were causing the home side some worry. After the break and with the exception of the first minute I felt we were good value for the win even if the scoreline was a tad flattering. Excellent work rate and commitment from the team and it has character in bag loads. Good to see lots of old faces making the trip down to sunny Dorset. See you all again soon

Previous thread: FA Cup Tie Postponed by SteveHFC21/9/2018 22:06Fri Sep 21 22:06:58 2018view thread