Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: I always knew Nico was good... by johnnybaker28/8/2018 16:27Tue Aug 28 16:27:43 2018view thread

Harrow

By rwakeley27/8/2018 23:21Mon Aug 27 23:21:57 2018

Views: 1918

I would personally go as so far as to give the lads a get out jail card today. 48 hours ago, the same lads demonstrated they can go away and produce a top draw performance. A timely reminder this campaign is a physical slog. We probably lost that game before it had started. We looked physically drained - an excuse not often tolerated. Harrow looked discernably sharper all round.
I had a problem with how we looked with regards to the shape in midfield. Restrictions on personnel options aside. Not overall convinced we could have fully functioned. I thought we looked dis-joined regardless. Marvin, big unit. In contrast other teams are quite content to launch howitzers into the box and feed of the scraps. A lot of emphasis around him. Not everything is sticking. I question if this is denying service into Ricardo. Surely, on a day when we were bereft the fact he scored twice shows we have to feed him. Every time I looked across midfield they had five red shirts we had two. For a Harrow side, they appeared to by-pass the midfield in a totally un-accustomed way. I thought they sat back. I think both Laste and Prince have sat back almost treading on Luke's toes. The lad Stephane appears to be fullflling slots rather than taking the game by the scruff of the neck. I think there's annoying factors, many of which can be resolved.
I think today caught up with the lads. In 48 hours we've had the best and worst aspects. I do think fatigue played a role today. The lads have earned some slack. How this detracts from our overall perspective as we move forward. It's very direct from most sides. I think if we can get a stranglehold in the middle of the park we become a powerful force. I think we need some penetration. A lot of work and developments, equally a lot more to achieve. No reason to be peturbed by a bad day at the office - Bigger picture thoughts.
Keep at it.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Harrow

By John Rogers28/8/2018 08:20Tue Aug 28 08:20:48 2018In response to HarrowTop of thread

Views: 20959

I think the lads have earned some slack given their start to the season.

Harrow were better than us today yet still required a couple of wonder saves from their keeper to claim the three points. Defensively we were unusually poor, some of the lads looked understandably tired from the travelling on Saturday. That's what we're going to have to get used to at times, I suspect this season.

Can't fault the effort, Ricardo looks every bit as good as Niko in front of goal and I hope Cole's injury isn't too bad after that absolute horror challenge from Harrow's 10. Incredible that he stayed on the pitch after that. Late, high and utterly reckless. Marvin's was little better a couple of minutes later but having only dished out a yellow for the first challenge the official would have been hard pressed to defend giving Marvin a red for his.

Dust ourselves down, recharge the batteries and go again on Saturday at Swindon.

Re: Harrow

By David B28/8/2018 16:40Tue Aug 28 16:40:04 2018In response to Re: HarrowTop of thread

Views: 1853

I thought the challenge on Cole was dreadful and deserved a red card. There may not have been malice in it but it was very dangerous. The challenge by Marvin was also bad, but I am certain that his reaction was that if the Harrow foul didn?t merit a red his wouldn?t either ? and he would not have made it if a red had been shown. Even though we were 3-0 down, I think playing against 10 men for the final half hour might have given us a chance of a comeback. At 3-1 we did have a couple of chances to make it 3-2 and then it might well have been very different.

However, for all that, and the fact that the first three Harrow goals all went in off Hendon players, we were in no way unlucky and Borough thoroughly deserved the victory.

Previous thread: FA cup by Dorset Don28/8/2018 13:44Tue Aug 28 13:44:23 2018view thread