Please note: this site will be unavailable between 4.30pm and 5.30pm on Wednesday 17 April due to routine maintenance

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Sutton v Hendon highlights by johnnybaker15/1/2018 20:18Mon Jan 15 20:18:47 2018view thread

Heads up!

By Mike Cox13/1/2018 17:04Sat Jan 13 17:04:53 2018

Views: 3261

Bad luck Greens.
No surprise on this result - now let's concentrate on getting back to winning ways after 3 straight losses. Although we are now just outside the play-off places, we have games in hand and are well placed if we can get back to winning again in the league.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Heads up!

By richhend14/1/2018 11:19Sun Jan 14 11:19:33 2018In response to Heads up!Top of thread

Views: 3100

Yesterday was a good open game and a credit to both sides. I went to Sutton-in-Ashfield in trepidation fearing a repeat of the Cheltenham Town game of some seasons back. Cheltenham were on the verge of winning the league and promotion to the football league.

We lost 3-0 at Cheltenham but we're completely out played from start to finish. Yesterday we competed well and of Zac''s shot had hit the back of the net who knows.

Sutton are a very good side. They had obviously done their homework and it was significant how their defenders double up every time one of our wingers got the ball. As with the Ebbsfleet game of a few seasons back, another critical determining factor was that both teams are effectively full-time. The stamina factor was key in the two matches.

At least we have made a bit of money out of the Trophy games so perhaps it can be used to strengthen the squad for the run in to hopefully the play-offs.

By rwakeley13/1/2018 23:46Sat Jan 13 23:46:33 2018In response to Heads up!Top of thread

Views: 3018

Turn back the clock 2 years - see the progress we have made. Some in-difference, that happens. As for the game, well, you can't turn up with a decimated line-up and expect miracles. The lads performed beyond expectations.
I was constantly reminded of an away day at Billericay today - at least style wise with Sutton. If that's the pre-requisite for the Football League then Billers are indeed on track. To make comparisons is unfair given where we are, but having said that I maintain you can now at least draw parallels. It may have been referenced previously as to the necessary targets, but I felt the real positive today was the confirmation that their is no real fundamental disconnect. You can get caught up in short-termism.
There's a lot of developments, financially and in terms of on-field modifications up for grabs.
There were obvious inherent limitations today, I believe somewhat beyond that of absentees, but nonetheless you can garner a true sense that we are moving forward.
Today, we lost a game of football, we've made progress, it will continue to be hard-fought but for the first time in decades we are clearly going in the right direction. It's testimony, on field, to Gary and his staff. A glimpse into the future. I believe there's growing conviction that Hendon could hold there own at a higher level. This would have somewhat been questioned at the last play-off participation. We are gaining underlying strength.
That, I believe is a perception that will continue to consolidate.
Keep going - starting with the next outing.

By StAlbansDon14/1/2018 00:10Sun Jan 14 00:10:06 2018In response to Re: Heads up!Top of thread

Views: 2991

Great turnout from the Hendon faithful ( 150 plus I think) so much has been achieved in a relatively short time and we must be optimistic for the future. We must strive for promotion and show the management team our ambition and aspiration. As a club we must live within our means but our board and manager deserve more from us and I believe National South is our destiny

By SteveHFC14/1/2018 10:34Sun Jan 14 10:34:59 2018In response to Re: Heads up!Top of thread

Views: 3075

It was definitely a good turnout yesterday, on a day when I was proud to be a Hendon supporter. As I said on twitter, it's days like yesterday that make all the work I do as a volunteer worthwhile.

Given the players that were unavailable (Corcoran - injured, Casey - suspended, Keagan - ill, Tom - injured for starters) I thought we acquitted ourselves very well against a quality Sutton side. Only goal that was really avoidable was the first - and the quality of the strike for the third really was outstanding.

But we caused them problems going forward, but their central defenders were in fine form and kept actual chances limited, but they knew they'd been in a game. There are some very complimentary comments from Sutton fans on twitter and their messageboard. We've played worse than yesterday this season and won games. Gary has said on twitter that there are lots of positives to take out of the game - hopefully we can do that against Spelthorne tomorrow, and then as we return to league action on Saturday.

By Amber SUFC14/1/2018 14:26Sun Jan 14 14:26:56 2018In response to Re: Heads up!Top of thread

Views: 3747

How refreshing to see a team come to the Lane and play positive attacking football. You certainly were the better side for long periods in the first half.
Good luck with the remainder of the season.

By Deadman15/1/2018 09:22Mon Jan 15 09:22:33 2018In response to Re: Heads up!Top of thread

Views: 2905

I thought one of the big differences on Saturday was the shooting power of Sutton. All three goals were very powerful finishes (the last one was exceptional).

I was very pleased with our new goalie. He made a couple of fine saves in the 2nd half and his quick throws were excellent.

Sutton are a really good club and hope they continue to flourish at the top of the Conference. But I'm intrigued to know what they will do regarding their 3G pitch, if they get promoted to the Football League? Surely it's worth too much income to dig up? Play on a neutral ground?

By John Rogers15/1/2018 11:41Mon Jan 15 11:41:11 2018In response to Re: Heads up!Top of thread

Views: 2832

Best thing about the afternoon, aside from the heartening performance, was the way in which we were welcomed by Sutton.

Last year at Boreham Wood, we couldn't have been made to feel less welcome and treated any colder, penned in behind the goal, stewards who had clearly been chipped with every health and safety policy going and just a generally lousy experience from start to finish.

The moment I got to Gander Green Lane the welcome was entirely different. From the guy outside the bar selling scratchcards, to the turnstile operators, the stewards inside the ground who were checking bags - a different world entirely. It would be easy for a club like Sutton, who let's face it have made enormous strides on and off the pitch since we last met, to have allowed themselves to get up their own arses. But they haven't at all. They still have that warm feeling around the place which makes Non League Football so much more appealing than League Football to me.

Good luck to them for the rest of the season.

As for the game, as Deadman says, the finishes from the home side were outstanding. Powerful, in the corner and Addai had no chance with any of them. I thought we competed well, caused them one or two moments of angst and created more than we did at Boreham Wood. I did wonder after the third goal whether they might go on and score a couple more in the final ten minutes, but heads didn't drop and we continued to try and play football, looking to create.

No disgrace in losing 3-0 against a side that good.

Bigger challenges await now. Looking forward to the run-in immensely.

By GRTourist15/1/2018 18:40Mon Jan 15 18:40:09 2018In response to Re: Heads up!Top of thread

Views: 2825

Hi,

I was a neutral at the game on Saturday. I thought that Hendon performed creditably, and your new keeper Corey Addai particularly so. You certainly had the best of the first half hour, but I think Sutton's strengths started to win the day after that.

I've written a match report with a few photos here:

thegrassrootstourist.com/2018/01/13/sutton-united-fc-2/

Apologies for intruding!

GRTourist

By Mike Cox15/1/2018 20:07Mon Jan 15 20:07:07 2018In response to Re: Heads up!Top of thread

Views: 2781

Thank you Grass Roots Tourist for a great report and superb photos

Previous thread: So who's going to Sutton on Saturday?? by jimsredwhiteandgreen10/1/2018 13:25Wed Jan 10 13:25:21 2018view thread