Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Brilliant Uchechi goal last night by johnnybaker29/11/2017 18:13Wed Nov 29 18:13:04 2017view thread

Play to the final whistle or last train/bus

By David B27/11/2017 17:18Mon Nov 27 17:18:42 2017

Views: 2922

Earlier this season we had four straight away games with stoppage time goals: lost at Brightlingsea, Wingate & Finchley got an insurance goal and we won at both Metropolitan Police and Dulwich Hamlet.

Now we have had three straight home games all of which have been levelled with goals five-odd minutes into additional time: Burgess Hill Town, thanks to Zak, Dulwich Hamlet (what goes around, comes around) curses to Rickie Hayles, and Slough Town, thanks to Kezie.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Play to the final whistle or last train/bus - Literally!

By rwakeley28/11/2017 22:39Tue Nov 28 22:39:25 2017In response to Play to the final whistle or last train/busTop of thread

Views: 2729

Truly amazing result - Words cannot express the admiration towards everybody involved tonight.
Upon hearing the keeper change, initial reaction was one of imminent target practice.
There was a rumour doing the rounds that Slough had requested for a no-replay option - don't any if that had any gravitas. Starting with no forwards, maybe an overhead glance at their FA Cup tie. Taking nothing away from our achievement - this is a result which live long in the memory of those who are proud to be a green.
I could hear Gary shouting, and I'm up here in Shropshire! Well done Gaffer.
Hope everybody can get home - well worth it. Only regret not being there to see it. Enjoy.
For the players, so proud, stick together and enjoy the rest of the season.

By embee28/11/2017 22:41Tue Nov 28 22:41:31 2017In response to Re: Play to the final whistle or last train/bus - Literally!Top of thread

Views: 2723

What's the story behind the keeper change? Class senior debut!

By John Rogers28/11/2017 22:44Tue Nov 28 22:44:36 2017In response to Re: Play to the final whistle or last train/bus - Literally!Top of thread

Views: 2625

Tom is in bed with the flu. So that meant a late call up from the Under 18s for Daniel. I suspect he played 90 minutes last night for the youth team as well.

By embee28/11/2017 22:47Tue Nov 28 22:47:30 2017In response to Re: Play to the final whistle or last train/bus - Literally!Top of thread

Views: 2758

Legend. At that age you love it so much and your body lets you get away with it because you don't know better yet!
A night to go down in the club's history.

By Claremont Man29/11/2017 15:43Wed Nov 29 15:43:16 2017In response to Re: Play to the final whistle or last train/bus - Literally!Top of thread

Views: 2597

A tremendous performance by the whole team,in particular young Goalie Dan Purdue who turned in a match winning display on his senior debut.The sheer effort put in by every player was unbelievable and speaks volumes for their fitness,pride and determination.
Only sour point of a memorable night was the article in the programme by the Slough fan who was less than impressed with SJP after visiting last Saturday.

By David C29/11/2017 17:43Wed Nov 29 17:43:46 2017In response to Re: Play to the final whistle or last train/bus - Literally!Top of thread

Views: 2609

A wonderful night and a fantastic performance by all the players and management. When I got to the ground and found out that Tom was unavailable I wasn't exactly filled with optimism but young Daniel Perdue stepped up to the mark and was able to withstand all the pressure that Slough put on him. Daniel was also extremely composed during the penalty shootout and pulled off two magnificent saves that I am sure he and all the Hendon fans will remember for a long time.

...Or the final penalty kick.

By Morgs28/11/2017 22:32Tue Nov 28 22:32:08 2017In response to Play to the final whistle or last train/busTop of thread

Views: 2771

To have your first two penalty kicks saved smacks of carelessness; to then smack the third against the bar is almost Ingerlandesque.

Re: ...Or the final penalty kick.

By Rainham don29/11/2017 17:34Wed Nov 29 17:34:14 2017In response to ...Or the final penalty kick.Top of thread

Views: 2628

Wasn't just Dans penalty saves thsat impressed after his first kick went awry and the slough fans got on his back i feared the worst however i thought he had a good 1st half.Start of 2nd half he almost gave a goal away by kicking the ball against a forward who closed him down but he made a double save on the rebound. 2 first class saves on their first 2 pens and after murphs missed the 1st for us we then buried the next 3 and they hit the bar with their 3rd so a 3.0 pen win was achieved. Excellent performance all round well done to everyone made the journey back to essex worthwhile.

Re: ...Or the final penalty kick.

By Deadman29/11/2017 18:00Wed Nov 29 18:00:50 2017In response to Re: ...Or the final penalty kick.Top of thread

Views: 2586

This was a wonderful result for everyone at the club. The share of replay gate receipts from a healthy crowd plus prize money is very welcome, I'm sure.

I just hope that more supporters come to the next round v Bath or. Margate, not least because the lads deserve our support. I was slightly disappointed with Saturday's attendance but perhaps we can get more next time out. A good cup run is to be savoured......

Whimsey

By rwakeley29/11/2017 17:59Wed Nov 29 17:59:30 2017In response to Re: ...Or the final penalty kick.Top of thread

Views: 2618

The goalie clearly had an eventful night and many will denounce what I'm about to type - but hey it is a forum.
One thing I really like doing with young players is making comparisons with established counter-parts. I don't know if they can subsequently be moulded but equally I don't dismiss it completely.
The only other Hendon lad who prior to seeing the lad last night was Charlie Goode. He reminded me straight away of an ex-Telford centre-half named Alan Walker. He went on to play in the league for Lincoln City and Millwall. Managed Maidstone United. Both had the similar gangly, ugly duckling appearance. You do of course have to replicate the talent.
I've been racking my brains to equate this lad to someone. I've come up with Chris Kirkland. His wiki bio quotes 'identified at an early age - uncommon mixture of height, agility and bravery' Kirkland was 6ft 6 in.
I'm not saying for one moment this lad could end up at Anfield Road, who knows what lies ahead - this maybe perceived as counter-productive that's not my intention to hinder the lad with expectations or my useless opinion.
He handled a pressure environment which says a boatload about his character.
Good luck to the young man.

Previous thread: Dermot Drummy by lesskinner28/11/2017 11:18Tue Nov 28 11:18:10 2017view thread