Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Dermot Drummy by lesskinner28/11/2017 11:18Tue Nov 28 11:18:10 2017view thread

Today - ish

By rwakeley26/11/2017 00:26Sun Nov 26 00:26:39 2017

Views: 2580

Today-ish a fellow Hendonite accused my of typing nonsense. In my defence I'm usually drunk! So I'm going with this - I reckon today was comparable to the first test at The Gabba. A bit of ebb and flow.
As for Slough, textbook entirely predictable. I thought we under-performed. Their work-rate in the middle and long-distance shooting is quality - and quite unique. We need to work harder on the basics to progress. Consequently, I don't think we are out of this at all. Like the Ashes, recognising an up-hill struggle may get you over the line.
With regards to the FA Trophy, I watched top-flight Conference stuff twenty years ago and had a personal theory that despite being nationwide, it still contained regional traits. An over simplification would be agricultural up-north and finesse down south. Slough offer something different outside our traditional comfort zone. If Hendon are to progress we have to overcome these variances. Familiarity breeds contempt. Like our opponents today, our time will come. That could be us live on BT Sports in the not to distant future. Tuesday night is an opportunity to face such a challenge.
As a club, at some time in the future, we have to go on the road and prove ourselves.
Good luck lads - give it real go.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Today - ish

By rwakeley27/11/2017 13:31Mon Nov 27 13:31:45 2017In response to Today - ishTop of thread

Views: 2403

There was some distinct pessimism around Saturday evening - God only knows why. I don't know if there's a sense of inevitability or an FA Trophy perception or what. Have we ever beaten a Connie South side in the present format? This is the exact kind of hurdle we have to overcome if we are ever to grow. That's not Great Expectations is why we get out of bed.
Held by Margate, Bath City would be a 'scalp' and it's damn winnable. They would not relish SJP. In fact their replay effectively forms a World Cup group of death scenario. Possible back-to-back with Margate, possibly three consecutive games with them. One of us has progress, Hendon, Slough, Margate or Bath.
A cup mentality is a mainstay component. We can pontificate all we like when we stuff Harrow and very poor Tooting sides, this is an opportunity to show how good we are.
Exceptionally tough at Slough, close them down.
Give it your best lads.

By John Rogers27/11/2017 14:42Mon Nov 27 14:42:18 2017In response to Re: Today - ishTop of thread

Views: 2312

For a bit of context on Saturday, Slough had only lost 1 of their previous 16 matches - a league cup tie. They've scored a mountain of goals and are in the 2nd round proper of the FA Cup.

Getting a draw was a heck of an effort at the weekend - I thought generally speaking the two sides were pretty well matched.

In terms of Conference South opposition, I don't recall us beating anyone competitively - we have beaten Oxford City (then Conference North) a few years ago in the Trophy and Corby Town (also then Conference North) in the FA Cup too.

Nothing to lose, nothing to fear tomorrow or in the next round if we are successful.

By David B27/11/2017 15:20Mon Nov 27 15:20:51 2017In response to Re: Today - ishTop of thread

Views: 2374

Before we beat Corby in the FA Cup, we had overcome Eastbourne Borough in a third qualifying round replay ? Isaiah Rankin?s wonder winner with us down to 10 men. From memory, the only National League South team we have faced in the FA Trophy was Ebbsfleet and we lost 1?0. Prior to Kings Langley and Slough, the only Southern League ? to give the competition its generic name for historical purposes ? club we had met since the National League South and North Divisions were created was Bideford Town (Dave Diedhiou?s late winner when both teams were down to 10).

By Mike Cox27/11/2017 16:43Mon Nov 27 16:43:01 2017In response to Re: Today - ishTop of thread

Views: 2304

Of all the Hendon goals I've seen (some of which may have been more spectacular), Rankin's brilliant strike is my all time favourite - absolutely fabulous.

Previous thread: Now for Slough by Mike Cox24/11/2017 19:41Fri Nov 24 19:41:32 2017view thread