Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Upcoming Live Commentaries by John Rogers14/10/2017 11:42Sat Oct 14 11:42:02 2017view thread

Gary McCann

By rwakeley15/10/2017 01:46Sun Oct 15 01:46:36 2017

Views: 2754

Its a salvation thing. Last three games. Todays football. Best 3 teams I've seen. Dutch 78, Liverpool 76-79, Enfield 85. Common demoninator midfield goals contribtion. Toshack, Rep and Dave Flint!
I've watched todays elitist offerings. It's pathetic. Football in this country is replicant of those of whom watch it. We are literally detatched. Its a separate universe. Futile.
Its a separate characteristic. We have goals from midfield. It's a different persona. Everything in the mainstream by comparison is dismissive. This is not some drunken rant.
There is a certain conviction you can carry forward. This is potentially a different maelstrom.
No matter what manifests, I personally believe Gary right now deserves a boat load of credit. Characteristically, that guy deserves the utmost respect.
This is without doubt the Gaffers finest personal time at the club - well done.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Gary McCann

By dw15/10/2017 21:08Sun Oct 15 21:08:23 2017In response to Gary McCannTop of thread

Views: 2681

Great reference to John Toshack. I well remember talking to a work colleague of mine who played for Bishops Stortford and Harlow in the mid seventies. Comparing Tony Bass to John Toshack, he had to admit that few other players could come close in terms of aerial attacking ability at the time. Such players are few and far between now, though ironically, I was impressed by the aerial power of the Billericay forward line last week!

Re: Gary McCann

By richhend16/10/2017 20:43Mon Oct 16 20:43:32 2017In response to Re: Gary McCannTop of thread

Views: 2530

Another fine header of the ball was Kieron Somers. Kieron like Tony Bass posessed that ability to seemingly hang in the air before powering in the header. Supporters may recall in the Newcastle season, we were 2-0 down at Barnet we attacking up the Underhill slope, Kieron powered in a header for our first goal. In the second half, Derek Baker in the centre circle ran on to a through ball from Rod Haider to slot in the equaliser.

A different type of player to Tony and Kieron was Johnny Baker. Not as tall but seemingly spring heeled, he scored many fine headed goals. The first goal against Wycombe in the 72 Amatuer cup semi-final sticks in the memory. Again, it was Johnny's headed flick on that led to the winner against Reading in the FA cup

Top gaffer

By Dorset Don15/10/2017 11:33Sun Oct 15 11:33:53 2017In response to Gary McCannTop of thread

Views: 2622

On yesterday's showing the gaffer must be delighted with what he is seeing. This is a very lively, exciting and busy young Hendon side who move the ball at speed with a nice blend of short passing and long balls. Ultimately the speed and pace reaped reward against a very crude visiting opposition. Justice was served with the second penalty and a well deserved 3 points for the Greens. Great day out for us from the South West coast

Edited by Dorset Don at 11:34:09 on 15th October 2017
Edited by Dorset Don at 11:34:57 on 15th October 2017

Re: My final Liverpool reference - for now

By rwakeley17/10/2017 13:09Tue Oct 17 13:09:03 2017In response to Top gafferTop of thread

Views: 2478

I spent Sunday watching YouTube vids of Liverpool all the goal compilations from 76-78-ish. It should be made compulsory viewing. It's good to reminisce. The movement, the goals......out of the ordinary, run of the mill stuff.
I know it sounds daft, the goals we are getting recently triggers those thoughts. They do look remarkably similar. The goals at Billers were identical to goals scored by Fairclough and Highway. We had 2 sublime crosses in the box Saturday, from which we scored the header - there's your Toshack. I look at the Jake and he's the closest thing I've seen to a fledgling Phil Neal, (yes I am aware he's on the other flank). If only he could take penalties!
Liverpool were clearly wholesale more direct in midfield. I look towards Saturday and just think Cole could have a field-day picking out passes. He could run the show by himself. With Matt and Casey we could already have at our disposal key transformational components. The progress this season rather than evolutionary has been revolutionary.
What I admire most about this Hendon side, is what I believe we can become. That early Liverpool side became the template for a succession, a dynasty. I believe there's an amazing amount of improvement that can come. That's the real positive.
No wonder why the Gaffer's smiling in the photo's. I presume that's the manager of the month award? Regardless - it says it all - And this is just the start.
P.S. I forgot to mention that Pool side of '78 only let in four goals at Anfield in the league - that says it all.

Edited by rwakeley at 13:12:07 on 17th October 2017

Re: My final Liverpool reference - for now

By David B17/10/2017 16:24Tue Oct 17 16:24:45 2017In response to Re: My final Liverpool reference - for nowTop of thread

Views: 2471

The trophy was the Performance on the Month award for August ? the 6?0 win over Harrow Borough.

Previous thread: Billericay by rwakeley8/10/2017 02:37Sun Oct 8 02:37:02 2017view thread