Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Ollie Sprague by Rainham don8/12/2016 22:59Thu Dec 8 22:59:41 2016view thread

Credit where it is due

By rwakeley4/12/2016 00:07Sun Dec 4 00:07:25 2016

Views: 2536

I'm going to compliment Enfield - they may not win the league, but they have undeniably found a style of play which suits their personnel.
As for Hendon today a B+ a draw a fair result. Second half, I was really impressed with Ollie. I think he has been utterly subdued all campaign. Today was the first time I've seen him cross the half-way line. He defended well, linked up well with Kezie, and here's the real shocker, overlapped. I've blamed the system for placing onus on the player in front. Today he did what he's best at enabling some fluidity. I like Jerome. I think the lad is a tad predictable. Their no 11, crossed from deep for cut inside, an Enfield trait. I maintain these lads have the potential to deliver so much more upside, take it from the opposition, it's become frustrating to watch! We have yet to establish our identity. With players on the sidelines coming back into the mix, the potential upside is obvious. One of these days the floodgates could open.
Irrespective of the immense frustrations, the lads have demonstrated a huge collective desire for the club.
We will overcome these obstacles and the fans will witness our own brand of football - I'm convinced of that.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Credit where it is due

By StAlbansDon4/12/2016 00:40Sun Dec 4 00:40:14 2016In response to Credit where it is dueTop of thread

Views: 2361

Great result considering the problems Gary has faced this week. I so enjoy Twakeleys reports but don't understand negativity from others! Go and support Wealdstone where your views will be welcome

By Mike Cox4/12/2016 17:44Sun Dec 4 17:44:40 2016In response to Re: Credit where it is dueTop of thread

Views: 2313

Surely you wouldn't wish your offensive comment on even your worst enemy.

By John Rogers4/12/2016 18:51Sun Dec 4 18:51:10 2016In response to Re: Credit where it is dueTop of thread

Views: 2315

That was a really well earned point yesterday against a side that, I think, have taken 16 points out of 18. Given the preparation in the lead-up to yesterday, I think Gary and the boys can take a lot of pride from the performance. We went toe to toe again against one of the division's better sides and fully deserved our rewards, particularly withstanding some late pressure. Darren Behcet and Brad Hewitt have made a big difference defensively - Behcet's handling yesterday was faultless and the addition height Hewitt gives helps immeasurably defending balls into the box. Well done, gents. A good point against a good side. Let's hope for more of the same Tuesday before the two big ones against Leatherhead and Grays.

By rwakeley4/12/2016 19:50Sun Dec 4 19:50:53 2016In response to Re: Credit where it is dueTop of thread

Views: 2260

The best non-league side I have ever seen was Enfield in the mid-80's. I believe they have maintained a distinct blueprint. Something I think Hendon can establish over the ensuing years. Their style hasn't changed, despite the changes at club level. Back then, Andy Pape in goal, a strong centre-half, Dave Howell, similar players today. Hayzeldene, Drummy, robust, Ironton, Oliver, guile and graft in the middle. Furlong/Flint up front - potent.
Ottaway reminded me yesterday of Flint keeping the backs occupied chasing shadows. Several ended up at Claremont Road.
Both clubs having had near death experiences are keeping the rivalry going. Moving forward, I think we would all enjoy both clubs contesting top honours. North London, somewhere in the future has a sleeping giant somewhere.
I think it's a potentially interesting dynamic.

By Paul Butler (buts1690)7/12/2016 11:53Wed Dec 7 11:53:25 2016In response to Re: Credit where it is dueTop of thread

Views: 2116

Different club though, the old Enfield. Immensely proud that through all the tough times, Hendon has remained Hendon with an unbroken history, where so many other clubs have folded/reformed/disappeared completely.

By rwakeley7/12/2016 21:33Wed Dec 7 21:33:40 2016In response to Re: Credit where it is dueTop of thread

Views: 2115

Under the same headline - to the lads last night for their dogged determination. - Hiya Paul, yes I'm aware of that , but bizzarely maintain they've regained their style!
As for last night, as one Hendon fan described it as "football but not as we know it" Sums it up rather well. Proper Panto Season stuff at the back. Defending on the goals was criminal. Heard the Gaffer be-moan the lack of closing down on the edge of the box. Players have to accept their responsibility. Initial good opening 20 mins or so then fade if lack of break-through breaks down a bit. Lots of annoyances.
For their part the lads refused to lie down and showed great endeavour.
Go again - tighten up - next time out a win without theatrics.

Previous thread: Double Bogey Day by Mike Cox2/12/2016 17:18Fri Dec 2 17:18:40 2016view thread