Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Question for those who have been to Leiston before by SteveHFC13/11/2016 13:55Sun Nov 13 13:55:27 2016view thread

This is as tough as I've experienced

By rwakeley13/11/2016 00:35Sun Nov 13 00:35:47 2016

Views: 2498

Five/six hours to Thames Ditton today, had I not met a fellow Green at Waterloo I simply would not have made it. Comical stuff. We somehow got to Kingston, the 411 bus, every 20 mins took 45 mins to turn up. Running way past kick off, amazingly a guy pulls up and asks me for directions for Imber Court rugby club at which point we pile in and let him take us to the ground! I still don't know where the rugby ground is!
Only 15 mins late, having arisen at six in the morning! It's indicative of where we are. I genuinely feel for Gary.
I felt completely mentally bereft throughout. The lad just can't catch a break. Our injuries are off the charts.
My journey's pale into insignificance for what we have in the next couple of weeks. The lads put in a shift, but with Lee off, the goal conceded was again tough. Just who is our recognised penalty taker?
We have to find a way to get results on the road. I sense frustration and fatigue on the terraces - it's genuinely very tough. There's honesty in the lads - keep at it.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: This is as tough as I've experienced

By SteveHFC13/11/2016 13:53Sun Nov 13 13:53:52 2016In response to This is as tough as I've experiencedTop of thread

Views: 2344

Was poor defending for the goal, but it wasn't long after Arthur Lee had gone off injured and we'd had to change our shape. Overall I thought we played ok, and were certainly the better side in the second half, livened up by the introduction of Karl Oliyide - good to see him returning from injury.

Finbarr needs to learn to listen to the dug out, who were clearly calling for Niko to take the penalty. Niko sensibly realising that this particular individual wasn't going to listen to reason, didn't get into an argument and let Finbarr have his way. I had no confidence that we were going to score the penalty. I would have done had Niko taken it.

This may seem harsh, but at the moment it seems that Finbarr is playing as an individual rather than part of the team. There are flashes of good quality, but he frustrates me at the moment.

On a slightly jollier note

By rwakeley13/11/2016 16:22Sun Nov 13 16:22:44 2016In response to Re: This is as tough as I've experiencedTop of thread

Views: 2318

I don't like going detrimental on individual players, unless, hopefully, something positive can be derived. Against Havant, Finbarr probably got taken off in order to save himself from getting sent off, having just been carded. These things can fester and reach a crescendo. Need to take all this on board.
With regards to our continual injury malaise I've been keeping an eye on the Tonbridge Gaffer's post match stuff of late. Five players out, several returned yesterday, the transformation was etched all over his face. He'd recently had a run-in with irate fans as documented on camera.
Hopefully, the weight on our shoulders can be lifted in a similar vein once players return.

Re: On a slightly jollier note

By Rainham don14/11/2016 10:39Mon Nov 14 10:39:56 2016In response to On a slightly jollier noteTop of thread

Views: 2156

Don't see how you can dress up our recent performances(didn't see Havant)as anything but poor.Burgess Hill poor hardly created a decent chance.And Saturday against a poor met police side we again created very little and played 1 up front against a side that have conceded a fair amount of goals recently(6 against Brightligsea Regent in the trophy).We were stringing 10 passes together between full backs and central defenders before launching it and trying to find the needle in a haystack that was nico.Not sure how we remedy this with our current crop of players(not sure some of them will be up for a relegation scrap).As for the pen the less said about who took it and the end result the better.

Re: On a slightly jollier note

By rwakeley14/11/2016 13:33Mon Nov 14 13:33:32 2016In response to Re: On a slightly jollier noteTop of thread

Views: 2256

It's hard not to agree that our performances this entire campaign have been disappointing. Some may advocate dire. Saturday demonstrated the latest instalment contested between two poor sides. We did create some chances but they blocked well. Had we replicated that literally anywhere else we could have been thrashed. We finished the game with virtually no midfield and even less in defence. Even the Havant game was crying out for central midfield dominance.
In my view, for fear of repeating myself, is that I maintain we still have a decent squad - most of which is lying in an infirmary. Both Maclaren's, Big Dave, now presumably both Centre-halfs, Ollie's only just back, Seebs is out - fans are moaning about the constant changes. The Gaffer has his hands tied.
I personally maintain we have yet to formulate our best line-up or personnel. For disclosure purposes, I'm not convinced, anybody is really sure what it is. Should stalwarts re-emerge, and we still struggle, then I am concerned. Until then, we have to grin and bear it.
Most these lads on the sidelines have a proven track record, all the tinkering in the world would struggle to compensate for that experience.

Previous thread: NORTHWOOD POSTPONED by SteveHFC8/11/2016 18:05Tue Nov 8 18:05:02 2016view thread