Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: NORTHWOOD POSTPONED by SteveHFC8/11/2016 18:05Tue Nov 8 18:05:02 2016view thread

Oh no...it's the return of the first home win in the league thread!

By PF5/11/2016 11:19Sat Nov 5 11:19:44 2016

Views: 2551

You know the old saying "It's the hope that kills you in the end?"

Well it doesn't apply to Hendon. It's actually the lack of hope that can release the pressure and let a team play with a little more freedom. Mind you with the team starting games as if they've lost already my reverse psychology probably won't work either. Bringing my uncle from America to the game today. Maybe he will bring some good luck with him. You havant got a prayer waterlooville!

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Oh no...it's the return of the first home win in the league thread!

By PF5/11/2016 18:28Sat Nov 5 18:28:45 2016In response to Oh no...it's the return of the first home win in the league thread!Top of thread

Views: 2311

Good effort in the second half by the lads. Still no home win but after losing a goal after 3-4 minutes everyone must've been fearing a massacre so a point has to be seen as a positive result. By the way my uncle was very impressed by the ground and set up at this level. The goal won't go down in Hendon history that's for sure but here it is in any case.
https://youtu.be/lofLBmWCNPc

By SteveHFC5/11/2016 19:39Sat Nov 5 19:39:26 2016In response to Re: Oh no...it's the return of the first home win in the league thread!Top of thread

Views: 2299

I think the most important thing today was the fact we reacted better after going a goal behind - and didn't concede any more. That it definitely a step in the right direction after the past two games.

At the end of the first half I thought we had been battling well, but that Havant were comfortably the better side. Our second half performance was very good, against a side I fully expect to be challenging at the top come the end of the season, especially as the oldest player involved on the pitch today was Sam Murphy.

As for our goal, I thought it was very well worked by Sam and Ollie to set it up for Arthur to finish.

A thoroughly deserved point in my view, and hopefully a performance we can build on.

By John Rogers5/11/2016 23:21Sat Nov 5 23:21:29 2016In response to Re: Oh no...it's the return of the first home win in the league thread!Top of thread

Views: 2395

The same issues that kept me away Tuesday kept me away today, sadly. I wish I could have been there to support the guys but I couldn't have coped with it.

The players have copped some deserved stick in recent weeks so it is only right to praise them for, from a distance anyway, appears to have been a performance where despite an early concession they fold and plugged away to get a very valuable point against high flying and experienced opposition.

Again, the test is to maintain that now on Tuesday and then next week to start a little run to get ourselves out of the bottom four sooner rather than later.

Well done today, I hope to me in the right state to be there Tuesday.

By rwakeley5/11/2016 23:56Sat Nov 5 23:56:46 2016In response to Re: Oh no...it's the return of the first home win in the league thread!Top of thread

Views: 2410

I have a slightly different take on this period. I don't think the lads and the management have warranted stick. I don't think we have found our footing. All the bloody self examination in the world will not compensate for distilling things down to its most simplistic level. Their numbers 7 and 11 took us to the cleaners fist half. Effectively adopting a four up-front. Powerful and sublime. Interesting style and unit. We clearly countered that second half and had we had a commanding midfield we could have won. The goal conceded was pathetic (again).
Worryingly, the second half, as pleasing as it was, may not work against other workmanlike oppositions. I welcomed a top side visiting, it's the lower sides we struggle against. It's how we incorporate what we have to dominate the grafters. Identifying these areas will consolidate our work-rate. No clean sheet in the league tells it's own story.
But for today, impressive tactical reaction, and great team work ethic. Don't beat yourselves up!

By Claremont Man7/11/2016 14:37Mon Nov 7 14:37:17 2016In response to Re: Oh no...it's the return of the first home win in the league thread!Top of thread

Views: 2332

Gutsy fightback after looking as if H and W's big lads might overpower us in the first 20/25 mins,we stood our ground well and put in a good shift in the second 45.If we can get the back line settled in the next few games I feel confident that things will improve.Once the 2 Mac's and Big Dave are back to lessen the pressure on the defence,the likes of messrs McCall and Murphy can get forward more and bring the front men into the fray. Good to see Elliott on the brink of a return,he is certainly due some good luck.

Previous thread: First Home Win in the League! by PF1/11/2016 15:47Tue Nov 1 15:47:17 2016view thread