Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Congratulations to Casey by David B20/10/2016 14:08Thu Oct 20 14:08:47 2016view thread

Onward and Upward

By Mike Cox15/10/2016 17:22Sat Oct 15 17:22:19 2016

Views: 2929

Unfortunately my pre-match score prediction was spot on. The Greens have had a good run, 2 minutes on TV last night and put some much needed cash in the Club's funds.
Now let's concentrate on getting a respectable position in the league,

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: clip of the near miss.

By PF17/10/2016 15:01Mon Oct 17 15:01:09 2016In response to Onward and UpwardTop of thread

Views: 2689

Stupid keeper saved it innit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DdXn8_tRk

Re: Onward and Upward

By PF15/10/2016 20:25Sat Oct 15 20:25:20 2016In response to Onward and UpwardTop of thread

Views: 2918

Well in the end I went to the game. I thought Hendon played ok but the two step gulf in class looked huge at times. Don't forget that team could be League 2 next season if they go on a run. They had stronger players in all areas. I don't think Hendon fans should be too down hearted. And what about that first goal. That was a bullet and almost worth the admission price alone. That Morgan guy could play at a much higher level. Was it him as well who nearly broke the cross bar? I think it's probably still shaking now.

The last goal was a bit lame though. The keeper didn't move an inch but who cares the match was over. Good turn out by the Hendon faithful and I'm glad I went in the end regardless of the result. It's a shame BW is not a better supported club as they have a neat little ground.

By Deadman15/10/2016 19:39Sat Oct 15 19:39:31 2016In response to Onward and UpwardTop of thread

Views: 2834

Not much FA Cup passion on show today.

Just looked and felt like a routine, almost training game type of affair. The brief flurry in the 45th minute, resulting in a brilliant save by the Borehamwood keeper, was noteworthy and a Casey header past the post from a deep Murphy cross. That was about it.

Good to see Binns back (he did ok at left-back) and thought that Vassell did pretty well at right back. Apart from that, it was all fairly mundane. Shame.

By SteveHFC15/10/2016 20:43Sat Oct 15 20:43:40 2016In response to Re: Onward and UpwardTop of thread

Views: 2858

I'm certainly not downhearted tonight - I was far more unhappy last week after we'd thrown away a 3-0 lead against a very average Lowestoft side, whereas today we were beaten by a very good Boreham Wood side.

I thought our attitude and effort was excellent, we gave it a go, but Boreham Wood were on their game and were just too good for us, as you would expect from a side that is more than 50 places above us in the league system.

I thought we caused them a few problems going forward, and there were a few times we looked like we'd created a shooting chance only for a white-shirted body to appear in the way of the shot. Absolutely nothing we could have done about the first goal, shame about the communication breakdown that allowed the second to the scored - and the third was always a possibility as we pushed forward to try and get back in the game. That was one of the real positives for me, that we didn't give up at 2-0, and still kept going and looking for a way back.

If we play most of our remaining games this season like we did today, we're going to be absolutely fine - but we need to start with results at Worthing and Burgess Hill next week (after hopefully beating Wembley on Wednesday)

By Rainham don15/10/2016 21:07Sat Oct 15 21:07:11 2016In response to Re: Onward and UpwardTop of thread

Views: 2865

There was most certainly a 2 division gap between the sides wood were better in most areas of the pitch and apart from the brilliant save by their keeper at the end of the 1st half we weren't really in it.couldnt fault the effort from everyone.Not sure about the make up of the team surely mayo should have been left back with binnsy in front of him.Thought Da Costa looked off the pace and we may have been better balanced with Oliyede on the right.Our only hope in my opinion was to get at them and put their back 4 under pressure.Good to have got this far and considering they were dangerous when they got the ball out wide it would have been interesting if Seeby and Sprague had played.Are Boreham Wood full time?.

By John Rogers15/10/2016 20:59Sat Oct 15 20:59:33 2016In response to Re: Onward and UpwardTop of thread

Views: 2962

Felt very strange today. Performance wise, thought we were fine, impressed in patches but beaten by a stronger side.

Atmosphere wise, it felt more like a friendly than an FA Cup derby. That wasn't helped in part by over officious stewards not allowing fans to stand at the fence, or being segregated. That sort of thing goes a long way to killing the enjoyment of the occasion at Non League level.

Pleased that we didn't fold after the early goal, thought Arthur and Niko did really well and felt the third goal put a slightly tough complexion on the scoreline.

Good turn out in the away end too.

Really like the long seated stand down the opposite side to the main stand, that looks superb. Good luck to BWood going forward.

By dw16/10/2016 07:40Sun Oct 16 07:40:34 2016In response to Re: Onward and UpwardTop of thread

Views: 2817

Great effort yesterday, but in truth, with missing first choice full backs, against a very impressive side, it was likely to be just too tough. I thought that the turning point came with Oliyide's injury. A quick substitution, positional changes, hesitation, and Borehamwood took full advantage within seconds.

I totally agree with the poorer match experience that segregation and heavy stewarding brings. It would be unthinkable to have to tolerate such an atmosphere week in week out. Violence may be more prevalent at Conference National level, but if Borehamwood can stage Arsenal Ladies' games with 4 figure crowds and no excessive stewarding or segregation, then this should not have been an issue yesterday for a sub-500 crowd. Though in fairness, what if 2000 had turned up? A great stand incidentally. Well done Borehamwood!

By rwakeley16/10/2016 00:10Sun Oct 16 00:10:11 2016In response to Re: Onward and UpwardTop of thread

Views: 2798

Onward and Upward sums it up perfectly for me. Honest shift from the lads. Characteristically, despite the gap in stature, I thought we somewhat mirrored eachother in terms of deficiencies. Our frailties were exposed. Two poorly defensive goals conceded. I thought, understandably we were a tad panicky in possession. I would have loved to have seen the Wood exposed to some genuine pace. Hence my biggest disappointment on the day was not asking even more questions of them at the back. They were always going to be more composed and stronger.
The loss of Seebs and Olls paramount.
I was half expecting the battle of Balaclava - never came. Despite being in overall control I thought they were predictable and on the day lacked real penetration and incision. If that is indicative of the top flight of 'non-league' then there are a handful of our lads of whom can form the nucleus to push the club forward. More-over, what I thought we lacked on the pitch, I maintain we broadly already possess in missing personnel. A Kezie, to hold the ball up today may well have worked, an Elliott at set-pieces - I know they were unavailable.
But the overall squad offers a damn sight more than what was on display. Further out, if the Gaffer continues to replace like with like, then our team is in for a very promising future. An eclectic mix of talents.
As is of today, I maintain we are a construction project. The plans are in the head, the foundations are being layed and the materials are being brought in. We are on the right track. I thought today was invaluable in assessing where we are and what we need in bringing the project on-stream.
Rome wasn't built in a day.

Previous thread: pre game pint by Rainham don13/10/2016 21:28Thu Oct 13 21:28:46 2016view thread