Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: History Men Please by John Rice17/2/2014 13:49Mon Feb 17 13:49:53 2014view thread

today

By JD (JD NW2)24/9/2016 20:13Sat Sep 24 20:13:31 2016

Views: 3034

That was the worst display I've seen from a Hendon team. Ever. As inept and embarrassing the performance of the players was I believe a lot of responsibility lies with the management. If you choose to play three at the back with wing backs, you have to have square pegs etc. Firstly Mayo as left centre back, Olly not pushing on enough and playing balls square to congested central areas, the first two goals coming from Khales inability to know instinctively how to be a right back. We had both Casey and big Dave who have both done well at center back on the pitch. Why take such risks with formations and selections, confusing players and hoping it will all somehow work out? Well today it's come round and bitten Gary on the arse. Let's get back to basics. Pick a team where the players can have a run of games in their most beneficial positions. If you don't have that luxury, four at the back with two McLarens in front may stem the flow.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: today

By Claremont Man25/9/2016 13:44Sun Sep 25 13:44:52 2016In response to todayTop of thread

Views: 2705

Wasn't at the game yesterday,so can't comment on it, but we weren't alone in being hit for six playing away from home.Folkestone also suffered the same fate and our old landlords leaked five at Merstham.
Enfield seems to be our bogey ground,we conceded six a couple of years ago and we generally look a pale shadow of ourselves there.
But hey, let's not allow things to get out of perspective,eight years ago we were about to become homeless and fearful for the future of the club,look where we are now.

By John Rogers25/9/2016 16:54Sun Sep 25 16:54:58 2016In response to Re: todayTop of thread

Views: 2655

Likewise, first game I've missed this season yesterday.

When I saw the line-up, it wasn't clear what the shape or formation would be, and alarm bells rang.

Of course, it's easy to say this after the event. I only hope that the difference between last week and this is reversed ahead of the coming weekend. Give me a point at Canvey and progression to the final qualifying round of the cup and we will be okay.

By SteveHFC25/9/2016 18:59Sun Sep 25 18:59:29 2016In response to Re: todayTop of thread

Views: 2784

Also not there yesterday, so can't comment on what was clearly a terrible day at the office. Gary's post match tweet suggests that he knows he got it wrong. We just need to ensure that lessons are learnt from yesterday.

I'll be very disappointed if we line up with 3 at the back again on Tuesday night at Canvey - I don't understand why we reverted to that yesterday when 4 at the back has clearly worked better as it seemed we were defending well... except for set pieces up until yesterday!

By Deadman24/9/2016 21:07Sat Sep 24 21:07:59 2016In response to todayTop of thread

Views: 2983

Hard to disagree with any of that. The formation was a difficult one to fathom even allowing for the loss of Alfie Young.

The performance was bad enough but having the coaching staff so openly at logger-heads with each other didnt help the situation one bit.

Awful afternoon for lots of reasons and in complete contrast to a week ago when everything about the day was brilliant.

By dw24/9/2016 23:30Sat Sep 24 23:30:32 2016In response to Re: todayTop of thread

Views: 2841

I can't disagree with anything said here. It is simply staggering that a club can produce a performance to rank with the best one week and sink to the depths the next.

In desperately trying to cling to some excuses and mitigating factors:

1. The rutted uneven long grass did not suit flowing football, though several players may well have been as poor on a perfect pitch today.
2.The FA Cup tie next weekend is so important to the club, that it is understandable for the management to give games today to players who may not have appeared regularly recently. However, in the circumstances this had no positive effect.
3. Alfie Young, so impressive recently, was unavailable.
4. 2 years ago, in one of the club's best ever seasons, we produced a dreadful performance at Enfield losing one nil but never threatening in the entire match. Enfield away is not a happy hunting ground!

I am sure that we will bounce back, but if nothing else, today did reinforce the fact that whilst we do have a very strong squad in most departments, the central defensive positions do need reinforcing.

Edited by dw at 23:32:39 on 24th September 2016

Shameful

By rwakeley25/9/2016 02:06Sun Sep 25 02:06:05 2016In response to Re: todayTop of thread

Views: 2815

We looked half-hearted, that was before we caved in. For the record, the fans to a man, as with it appears the management, seem unsure of our starting eleven. There is literally no-where to hide after that.
I have utmost sympathy with the Gaffer and refuse on the back of a truly horrific day to over-react. That was hard to digest. The winning mentality so evident last week was non-existent. We simply cannot afford to carry personnel of whom choose when to turn up. Despite questionable selections, Hendon in my view, with some hindsight, look like a side of whom need a viable reason to turn up. We need to be forced out of our malaise. Hence we are also dragged down to other teams levels. It's a no man's land scenario. We do not possess the clinical instincts to finish teams we simply need to beat. The next week could easily see us regain form - but right now it lacks conviction.
Maybe with all that has gone on today, it can be viewed further down the road as part of the learning curve.
I'm sure everybody connected with the playing staff today will work to ensure that what was put on show today will go down as a one-off. A very important week lies ahead.

Re: Shameful

By IcecapUnited25/9/2016 08:06Sun Sep 25 08:06:17 2016In response to ShamefulTop of thread

Views: 2822

Unfortunately the precedent has been set, good performances and results don't get rewarded whilst poor performances are rarely punished so far this season. As long as that continues so will the highs and lows. This team should be batlling in the top half of the table not just above the relegation zone.

Edited by IcecapUnited at 08:07:00 on 25th September 2016

"Bad day at the office" is being kind

By David B26/9/2016 13:10Mon Sep 26 13:10:31 2016In response to Re: ShamefulTop of thread

Views: 2610

First of all to clear up the team selection: one player was unavailable beyond our control; another had a slight injury and wasn't going to be risked except in an absolute emergency; and the third player was left out for resting purposes. That explains the selection, the formation, as you will read when I have written up Gary?s quotes - I deliberately didn't speak to him until today to give everyome a chance to calm down a little - the boss has been very honest.

Worst ever performance is subjective ... Leyton 1-9, Kingstonian 0-7, Lowestoft 1-8 all jump out, the third in particular, and a few cup ties, Brimsdown Rovers and Southwark Borough in county cups, Ruislip Manor, twice, and Wembley in the FA Cup were all pretty dire. Saturday's game fits neatly in with them.

How different things might have been if we had converted the chance we had right at the start of the second half. Confidence being what it is, it might well have knocked Enfield back and boosted us, but we didn't score. The penalty miss at 4-0 would have made little difference.

Quite simply, it appears we cannot win a League game at Donkey Lane. Our first visit there, a 6-3 defeat, was also pretty desperate, but I have just checked to see who was in our defence on that horrible afternoon in late 2012: Berkley was in goal, Ryan Wharton and Scott Cousins were the full-backs and James Fisher and Elliott Brathwaite the centre backs, and, in front them, we had Isaiah Rankin and Darren Currie, as well as Kevin and Casey, Michael Murray and Greg Ngoyi (Big Dave was on the bench). The following year ? a 3?2 loss ? we had Junior Morais, Jefferson Louis and Jack Bennett in the starting line-up.

Here's hoping we turn things around at Canvey Island on Tuesday night.

Re: "Bad day at the office" is being kind

By Deadman26/9/2016 21:33Mon Sep 26 21:33:59 2016In response to "Bad day at the office" is being kindTop of thread

Views: 2528

That game has gone now. If the players can put in a decent performance at Canvey tomorrow and get any sort of result, everyone will start to put Saturday behind them.

And I hope the coaching staff have patched up their differences because they've been a cracking/tight team through some good times, as well as bad. Life's far too short for those kind of things to fester on and I hope we have a full quota in the dug-out tomorrow night.

Previous thread: Re Today by lesskinner25/9/2016 10:42Sun Sep 25 10:42:48 2016view thread