Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Where Have All Our Players Gone? by Deadman9/8/2015 08:38Sun Aug 9 08:38:05 2015view thread

Hopes and predictions for 2015/16

By Mike Cox5/8/2015 16:22Wed Aug 5 16:22:16 2015

Views: 2621

Toss off your gold tinted spectacles and the 100% certainty of Hendon winning the FA Cup, League, etc, and being in the Premier League in the next decade, and give some cold blooded thought as to what we can realistically hope to achieve in the coming season.
Hopefully we can dismiss the shed load of goals conceded and the disappointing lack of goals scored in pre-season as being due to rustiness and missing personnel. However, in all honesty to expect another season to match the incredible performances of 2014/15 is, in my view, totally unrealistic. I would be very happy if we can be in or near to the play-offs and have a good F A Cup run.
What do you reckon?

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Hopes and predictions for 2015/16

By Deadman5/8/2015 16:48Wed Aug 5 16:48:51 2015In response to Hopes and predictions for 2015/16Top of thread

Views: 2564

A measure of success could be whether we still have anything to play for in the last couple of weeks of the season (in terms of being top of the league etc...not fighting relegation!)

But quite a few things need to fall into place in order to have another successful season.

Someone is going to have to replace Casey McClaren's goals from midfield. Maybe Murphy and Da Costa will get even more than last season between them?

A decent centre-back pairing needs to be established. I haven't been impressed so far although it's still really pre-season.

Joe Wright needs to show us why Gary rated him so highly, that we let Ben McNamara go.

The team need to quickly learn how best to get Bettache into the game in the right areas. He's got a lot of talent and looks like a match-winner.

Leon Smith needs to re-discover some sort of goal-scoring form.

The "older" players need to forget any thoughts of being hard done by last season.

The 'newer"players need to show the same spirit and commitment as the older players!

I'll guess that we'll finish 7th, with a late flourish after being mid-table most of the season.

By rwakeley5/8/2015 17:48Wed Aug 5 17:48:58 2015In response to Re: Hopes and predictions for 2015/16Top of thread

Views: 2591

Agree with all the above, with the overriding caveat the loss of the Mac lads. A nice curtailment to be dropped in the Gaffer's lap, albiet probably expected.
Oppositions of whom pass through the middle up nice and early. Grays, Enfield, Dulwich and East Thurrock good early indicators of our mettle.
Until our personnel get bedded in more questions than answers. Personally I am a huge admirer of the lad Fisher, very rarely loses possession even when under duress.
Underpinned with caution we should be reasonably confident - we have the personnel. We need strong leadership to cojole the youngsters. Games are not generally won in the first twenty minutes - we have looked a tad Harlem Globetrotters pre-season. Then there's the winter pitches. There is nothing new and nothing we cannot contend with. In maintaining possession an element of patience may be more appropriate.
I believe we are in a good place. The players will have to face challenges and they will have to be reminded what they can do, what they bring to the table and how they can improve. It's a fascinating dynamic.
Moreover, I suspect the lads have a point to prove to themselves.

By Deadman5/8/2015 17:57Wed Aug 5 17:57:54 2015In response to Re: Hopes and predictions for 2015/16Top of thread

Views: 2454

Agree about Fisher....very decent in a number of positions. But he doesn't seem to have played at all in pre-season(?)

By John Rogers7/8/2015 09:11Fri Aug 7 09:11:35 2015In response to Re: Hopes and predictions for 2015/16Top of thread

Views: 2553

I know Fisher was injured and undergoing fitness training with Mark at the Northwood game, I expect he is still unfit. A huge miss if he's not around tomorrow. Likewise Kezie. I think his presence brings Aaron Morgan to life.

I have a number of question marks going into the Grays match, particularly defensively. The way we have been shipping goals in pre season has been alarming to say the least. There seems to be a brittleness around the side. Whether this is simply because the players need to bed in remains to be seen. With, what on paper, is a tough start against sides that were in the play-off picture last time around, I think we could be I for a tricky few weeks.

That said, I have been impressed with most of the new faces. As already stated, Maz Bettache looks very impressive. Enormously skillful. Jake Cass has impressed as has Courtney Harris with his passing.

Having said all of this, we suffered a poor pre season 12 months ago, so who knows where we'll be. I am prone to pessimism, sadly.

Whatever happens, I will be there tomorrow backing the lads all the way.

COYG!

By rwakeley7/8/2015 11:34Fri Aug 7 11:34:18 2015In response to Re: Hopes and predictions for 2015/16Top of thread

Views: 2446

I think that's an excellent point with regards to Kezie's interaction with other players. As for Grays, we know they play with a carefree approach. I like their style, it's not overly condusive to individualism - they are a quintessential cohesive unit.
We can't possibly conced as many corners as last season. They must have hit double figures. But with any sides with their characteristics they are vulnerable if you can get in behind them. If we let them play we are in trouble.
As for Bettache, he reminds me a bit of the Turkish lad that was at Dulwich - but they can have a tendency to flatter to decieve. Then the question revolves around Lee O'Leary in the middle. It's a very important season for him. He's probably going to have to play more defensively, hence my concern with regards to the absence of the lad Fisher. The art of tackling seems lost on the present generation and that is something the the Maclaren's brought. Kevin Mac sprayed the ball wide, something Lee can do, we may lose these affectations. On the flip side, and a major positive is the potential pace we have with Sam and Andre.
Interesting to see who will slot in at right-back. Despite players being absent we have cover.
If we gel and exert dominance, we'll beat anybody in this division.
Plenty to digest, really looking forward to it.

Previous thread: Uche Egbe by dw6/8/2015 22:26Thu Aug 6 22:26:36 2015view thread