Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Swindon by rwakeley2/9/2018 01:26Sun Sep 2 01:26:23 2018view thread

Congratulations all round

By David B23/6/2015 13:12Tue Jun 23 13:12:55 2015

Views: 4422

First of all to Gary, Elliott, Andre and Charlie for their selection to the Non League Paper?s Ryman League Team of the Season. All are thoroughly deserved and two or three others must have been mighty close to getting chosen.

Elliott was also named in the Ryman League Premier Division team of the season as announced at the League?s Annual Awards Dinner. Andre might also have been chosen for this team, but apparently Tom Pett ? who won the award with Wealdstone in 2013?14 ? retained the honour even though he was with a former Ryman club, Stevenage, last season.

Also to Gary on the award of a testimonial match.

Apart from the memorial match for Bill Fisher, the only other testimonial match I can recall was for Rod Haider, so Gary is in very exalted company.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Congratulations all round

By ChrisHFC23/6/2015 14:07Tue Jun 23 14:07:58 2015In response to Congratulations all roundTop of thread

Views: 11277

I may be wrong, but didn't Dave Root have a testimonial match?

Re: Congratulations all round

By David B23/6/2015 16:27Tue Jun 23 16:27:23 2015In response to Re: Congratulations all roundTop of thread

Views: 4397

You are quite right. He had a testimonial season, and I am sure there was a game, but there was no testimonial game in the archive for 1993-94, his last season with us. That was the year Victor Green passed on the ownership of the club to his wife, so in the second half of the season Claremont Road was hardly the happiest place to be.

Dave Root testimonial

By Dorset Don24/6/2015 12:37Wed Jun 24 12:37:57 2015In response to Re: Congratulations all roundTop of thread

Views: 4849

Was against a Watford team. Was a mid-week fixture and why this sticks in my memory is that I was one of the linesmen for this game.

Re: Dave Root testimonial

By David Freedman25/8/2018 08:36Sat Aug 25 08:36:53 2018In response to Dave Root testimonialTop of thread

Views: 2721

I?ve been trying, unsuccessfully, to find details of this match. There is no mention of it in the Hendon nor the Watford archives. Was it played? What were the teams and result, etc. etc.
Be great if you could supply any info. Thanks.

By SteveHFC25/8/2018 09:04Sat Aug 25 09:04:00 2018In response to Re: Dave Root testimonialTop of thread

Views: 2702

Equally - if anyone does have the relevant information, we'll of course add it to the website archive.

By Rabster25/8/2018 13:20Sat Aug 25 13:20:03 2018In response to Re: Dave Root testimonialTop of thread

Views: 2740

Dave Root did have a match against Watford. I think we beat them 3-1. What I do remember is that a brawl nearly broke out after a nasty tackle & Dave Root calmed it all down.

Re: Rod Haider testimonial

By rwakeley31/8/2018 14:51Fri Aug 31 14:51:30 2018In response to Re: Dave Root testimonialTop of thread

Views: 2697

For anybody that's interested, I have managed to track down some info with regards Rod's benefit match which took place on Sat 14 May 1978. I'm led to believe he was due a full blown testimonial versus either Arsenal or QPR the following season, which I presume may not have taken place due to the fact he was installed as caretaker boss at around this time. The 'Whites' v 'Greens' game was won 2-1 by the team in white, which was overseen by Sports Editor Fred Harris. Whites:- Arthur Paisley, George Rocknean, Alan Phillips (1og), Mick Cannon, Dave Hogwood, Rod Haider, Keith Jameson, Jimmy Quail, Jimmy Williamson (2), Keiron Somers, Les Brown. Greens:- John Swannell, Roy Sleap, John Ashworth, Robby Evison, Bill Fisher (Ron Patterson), Mick Cooper, Derek Baker, John Baker, Tony Bass, John Connell, Bob Nash. Sub Les Brow (Welwyn Garden City).
A subsequent game on the same day took place, a Challenge Match. Hendon XI v Hendon District XI. Hendon won 3-1 (Haider, Middleton & Hall) Tobin pen for the District. Dave Beasant played for the District side.
Footnote;- Tried to find, to no avail details of Bill Fisher's game v Wealdstone in Dec 78/79 following his passing - not processed my own archieves beyond the 1950's I did find a friendly was played by Hendon on Tues 19th Dec that season, no venue specified, lost 0-3 against Barton Rovers. I may have some info due in with regards to the Dave Root game in the subsequent days - if successful will post.

Re: Bill Fisher testimonial

By ChrisHFC31/8/2018 16:17Fri Aug 31 16:17:13 2018In response to Re: Rod Haider testimonialTop of thread

Views: 2705

I have some details of a testimonial for Bill Fisher that was played against Wimbledon on Monday 4th December 1978 at Claremont Road, finishing 1-1.

Hendon's team (as I have it) was Gary Steel, Micky Cooper, Gary Hand, Alan Roughan, Alan Campbell, Rod Haider, Ray O'Callaghan, John Steer, Roy Butler, Micky Garrini, George Brooks. Scorer was Brooks. Subs were Graeme Sewell and Steve Hudson - both apparantly used.

I don't have details of Wimbledon's line-up, but I think they intended to play as many first-teamers as possible.

For the older supporters who remember Ken Thorn, one-time Supporters Association treasurer, he used to record lineups and scorers for competitive matches in a notebook. His method was to mark those who appeared in a match, but not by shirt number (until midway through 1984-85), and not differentiating between starters and subs. I have his book for the period 1977-78 to 1990-91. In that time he only included 2 friendlies, of which this is one. The thirteen players above are the ones he had marked as appearing in the match; the choice of subs is what I consider most likely from those thirteen players.

By Dessie1/9/2018 22:50Sat Sep 1 22:50:15 2018In response to Re: Bill Fisher testimonialTop of thread

Views: 2586

I used to have one of Ken Thorn's appearance notebooks. I think you may well have it now based on the years you quote. If I recall I gave it to Dave B some time ago - good to keep it in the family.

Ken Thorn anecdote - we were on the supporters' coach to Tooting or Bromley in the early 80s, it doesn't really matter. Traffic was very bad somewhere in south London so the peasants at the back of the coach started revolting. Our current chairman was one of these reprobates (as indeed was I). Mr Thorn, a fine and upright fellow, marched to the back of the vehicle and proclaimed: "You are not helping matters one iota!!" Our current chairman responded in a perfect Scouse accent - "I used to have a Toyota, I've gorra Datsun now" Oh how we laughed....

Another Ken Thorn memory is from an FA Cup match at VS Rugby in the late 80s. There was a big influx of Derby supporters that day who were, in a nutshell, complete savages. Iain Dowie scored for the Greens and they kicked off behind the goal. Ken took a couple of blows and immediately cried out to no-one in particular "Arrest that man!"

By Simon2/9/2018 00:05Sun Sep 2 00:05:36 2018In response to Re: Bill Fisher testimonialTop of thread

Views: 2602

It was a perfect ?Johnny Law? accent and it was ?I used to have an Iota but I?ve got a Datsun now?.

Oh how we laughed.

By Dessie2/9/2018 08:05Sun Sep 2 08:05:46 2018In response to Re: Bill Fisher testimonialTop of thread

Views: 2579

I stand corrected Simon. I had forgotten about the immortal Johnny Law...

By Rabster2/9/2018 08:57Sun Sep 2 08:57:07 2018In response to Re: Bill Fisher testimonialTop of thread

Views: 2588

Remember it well, very, very funny. I recall one of our current directors sticking his two fingers up as Ken marched back down the coach.

We were on our way to Bromley & by the time we got there we had missed the only goal of the game, which had been scored by Bromley.....halcyon day?s.

BTW, John Law always used to call me Robin.....never had the heart to tell him he was wrong.

Edited by Rabster at 08:58:10 on 2nd September 2018

By Dessie1/9/2018 23:05Sat Sep 1 23:05:55 2018In response to Re: Bill Fisher testimonialTop of thread

Views: 2655

Oops the goal at VS Rugby was scored by Martin Duffield. Dowie scored in the replay which we won 2-0 to go through to meet Reading in the 1st Round. I will never forget the completely useless referee Ray Lewis from Great Bookham, or was it Ray Bookham from Great Lewis...

By richhend2/9/2018 00:05Sun Sep 2 00:05:37 2018In response to Re: Bill Fisher testimonialTop of thread

Views: 2590

Can't recall what the crowd was for the replay but supporters must have been nearly outnumbered by scouts from a number of league clubs all looking at Iain Dowie.

By SteveHFC2/9/2018 10:54Sun Sep 2 10:54:27 2018In response to Re: Bill Fisher testimonialTop of thread

Views: 2645

Added details to the Bill Fisher game to the website --> www.hendonfc.net/Reports?id=1977

Also added the Dave Root game - should anyone discover the line up & scorers, please either post it on here or let me have it (or both) and I'll add it. --> www.hendonfc.net/Reports?id=5780

I've not added the Rod Haider game at the moment - need to work out the best way to do it because of how the website databases work.

On a separate note, Rob Wakeley dug out loads of old reports a few years ago which I have recently rediscovered whilst going through stuff in my flat ahead of moving in a couple of months - I'm now gradually adding these to the website, and when season's are complete, I'll post a message on the website. Working on the back end of 1929-30 at the moment.

Previous thread: Swindon by rwakeley29/8/2018 18:20Wed Aug 29 18:20:50 2018view thread