Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Red Card Appeal by John Rogers22/5/2015 12:53Fri May 22 12:53:30 2015view thread

Diappointment and Relief

By Mike Cox17/5/2015 19:33Sun May 17 19:33:04 2015

Views: 4907

Disappointment - our wonderful season ended by an excellent Margate display today. No argument that on the day we were beaten by a better team - we didn't manage a half decent shot on goal all afternoon. Morgan's tackle was to say the least "hard" but a red card was harsh and spoilt what should have been a real showpiece - hard to choose Margate's man of the match - a toss up between the Oscar nominee no.2 or the totally inept referee.
Relief - were we really looking forward to an inevitable struggle in Conference South?

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Diappointment and Relief

By Pol Pot17/5/2015 21:16Sun May 17 21:16:12 2015In response to Diappointment and ReliefTop of thread

Views: 4634

A fair assessment, though I would point out Eyong was headbutted in the tunnel at half-time so it could have been two red cards.

By Le Renard17/5/2015 20:00Sun May 17 20:00:54 2015In response to Diappointment and ReliefTop of thread

Views: 4852

Not sure it was a red but I wasn't surprised he was sent off. Looked like he went over the top. Thought they were a bit hyped up and undisciplined in the first 5/10 mins. Margate looked a strong side.

By Deadman17/5/2015 20:19Sun May 17 20:19:27 2015In response to Re: Diappointment and ReliefTop of thread

Views: 4632

Looked a yellow to me and I was pretty close. I don't doubt matey was in a bit of pain but the squeal and roll was right out of The Premier League....as was his ridiculous dive about two minutes later. Margate played ok and deserved their win but I didn't enjoy watching No.2 pick up a medal at full time.

As for the game.....it ceased to be a spectacle after the red card. The team of officials were very young for a game of that magnitude. Surely there was a more experienced set of officials out there somewhere who could have been on the game.

Finally, I'm not sure it was just the Hendon players who were wound up for the occasion. That looked a pretty heavy challenge on Oliver Sprague shortly before the red card.

By Hendonboy17/5/2015 20:47Sun May 17 20:47:51 2015In response to Re: Diappointment and ReliefTop of thread

Views: 4802

To me, (the opposite wing) it didn't look any worse than the three or four challenges down that side in the previous 5 minutes, although I've heard a couple of people suggest there may have been a stamp - if so, then spot on, otherwise not entirely convinced.

It was noticeable that things were starting to escalate (he let the first couple go, then spoke to one of the Margate players for the previous one) and I got the feeling that the red was bourne as much from a desire to stamp authority on the game and stop things getting silly as they were threatening to do. If so, a better way to do it may have been a yellow and then to pull both captains across to tell them that any more challenges like that from anyone would be dealt with sternly.

Leaving aside any refereeing questions, the right side certainly won today. A poor quality game overall, with the ball spending too much time in the air for my liking, but Margate had more possession and for a 15 minute period of the first half made excellent use of it - they could and should have been further ahead by half time. Was disappointed with how they approached the later stages of the second half - I don't think I've seen a strong side defending a 1-0 lead from their own corner quite like that before - but Wassmer (the 5) was excellent and Nikki Bull never tested, although Tags had a good go late on.

Under the circumstances, nothing to be disappointed in with today's performance - the squad left everything they had on the pitch, no shame in coming up short.

By Jeff Hill (Malc)17/5/2015 20:10Sun May 17 20:10:30 2015In response to Re: Diappointment and ReliefTop of thread

Views: 4640

Le Renard I see that was your first post. Make it your last.

By Le Renard17/5/2015 20:28Sun May 17 20:28:53 2015In response to Re: Diappointment and ReliefTop of thread

Views: 4671

Well, that's not very nice is and not very welcoming. If I may say so Margate did a "job" on you early on.The young left back was daft to do what he did. The Hendon guys (experienced players I'd say) didn't help matters by giving the ref verbals. In a way it reminded me of the Wingate game at Xmas but the other way round. The stuff on the final whistle wasn't very savoury either.

By Deadman17/5/2015 20:47Sun May 17 20:47:42 2015In response to Re: Diappointment and ReliefTop of thread

Views: 4518

What did the young left back do?

Re: Just Disappointment

By rwakeley18/5/2015 00:22Mon May 18 00:22:24 2015In response to Re: Diappointment and ReliefTop of thread

Views: 4411

My overriding sentiment is one of complete sympathy towards Gary and the players.
The biggest injustice is not the events on the field today but the fact that given our playing record in securing second place we are denied automatic promotion.
I have never felt more proud to be a Hendon supporter.
Our Board is under-pinned by decades of support and actions undertaken reflect their genuine love of their club. Nice touch to further acknowledge Gary's undeniable achievements with the naming of the stand at SJP.
The management is exceptional, the playing staff have been a revelation.
I hope Aaron gets over his initial disappointment. The lad has been outstanding. The decision debate aside, the lad has his best years ahead of him.
SJP is coming on stream - we are poised as a club to grow and in-keeping with our traditions we are building healthy foundations. The proper way to further stabilize our existence.
I expected a lot more (arial stuff), from Margate. Even with absentees, I would emphasize we are at least a match for them if not better.
Congratulations to Margate, they won on the day.
Our journey has just started - I'm quietly confident its a taste of things to come.

By dw18/5/2015 00:21Mon May 18 00:21:52 2015In response to Re: Diappointment and ReliefTop of thread

Views: 4363

Sadly, a few discipline aberrations crept into the Hendon performance in the first 30 minutes, which led to a very difficult position from which to retrieve the game. The officials played the game strictly by the book. No warnings, no latitude etc.

None of this was helped by the unavailability of a couple of key Hendon players. Margate did what they had to do, sadly including some shameful theatricals which the game at any level can do without. I recall only too well how virtually all the play-acting in the recent World Cup was ignored rightly by the officials, greatly to the benefit of the exciting tournament.

What a great season, full of incredible quality. Hendon can only move forward from here.

By Pol Pot18/5/2015 08:58Mon May 18 08:58:51 2015In response to Re: Diappointment and ReliefTop of thread

Views: 4389

All teams playact these days, including your own. Is this a good thing? Not really but that's the reality of it.
Nonetheless you've had a great season and your club is in its healthiest state it has been for a long time so you have plenty to be proud of.

By John Rogers18/5/2015 10:42Mon May 18 10:42:46 2015In response to Re: Diappointment and ReliefTop of thread

Views: 4355

I agree, we are certainly no angels when it comes to theatricals, harranguing of matchday officials and 'professionally' closing out a game so we can't really try and claim the moral high ground.

It's hard to comment on too much of yesterday, as I only saw the final half hour or so after counting the gate money, but I thought the boys gave it a good go in the second half. You certainly couldn't have accused any of them of shirking their responsibilities and not giving their all - you could see how much it meant to them at the end of the game by just how broken so many of them looked.

That said, I had the suspiscion that Margate probably had another gear to find going forward had they needed to. Their number 5, Charlie Wassmer, made two or three Brathwaite-esq interventions when Leon was sniffing around.

A crying shame that we weren't able to get over the line yesterday, and I felt unable to speak for about 10 minutes after the final whistle. But that should not detract from a heroic season by each and every member who has represented the club this season. I've not known anything like it and certainly never dreamt that we could have achieved what we have done this season.

Congratulations to Margate and Maidstone, I'm sure they'll both do well in the Conference South - for us, I think we have a big summer ahead of us. If we can keep the squad together and maybe add one or two to deepen numbers, there's no reason why we can't go ahead. I suspect there will be some wealthier sharks circling more than one or two of the boys, licking their lips at the prospect of adding them to their ranks.

Finally, on a personal note, thank you to each and every individual who has taken time out to help at any stage this season with some of the matchday jobs. It hasn't always been easy, but without your time and effort, putting home matches on would be nigh on impossible.

By Claremont Man18/5/2015 14:58Mon May 18 14:58:19 2015In response to Re: Diappointment and ReliefTop of thread

Views: 4150

So,in the end it wasn't to be.After the glorious unbeaten run and two Cup triumphs,our dreams of a winning finale to the season were cruelly crushed by a very strong and determined Margate side.The debatable sending off so early in the game meant we had a mountain to climb ,but let's be fair on the day Margate were by far the better side and deserved their victory.
What Gary and his lieutenants have achieved this season is outstanding for a club of our modest resources and every single of them plus a team who have given their all in each and every match deserve our utmost thanks and respect.Have a good summer gentlemen and let's hope that the show and all the cast can take to the stage again next season.

Re: Disappointment and Relief - "Highlights"

By Deadman18/5/2015 20:55Mon May 18 20:55:01 2015In response to Re: Diappointment and ReliefTop of thread

Views: 4210

I'm no good at doing links but go on the Dulwich Hamlet forum (not the Brixton Buzz one) and you can see the highlights of yesterday's game. Aaron's challenge is 18 seconds in.

By Deadman18/5/2015 21:00Mon May 18 21:00:07 2015In response to Re: Disappointment and Relief - "Highlights"Top of thread

Views: 4140

Or go on the Margate FC website...the video is on their home page.

By Hendonboy18/5/2015 21:02Mon May 18 21:02:03 2015In response to Re: Disappointment and Relief - "Highlights"Top of thread

Views: 4190

Or just watch them here.

Edited by Hendonboy at 21:02:14 on 18th May 2015

By Paul Butler (buts1690)18/5/2015 21:39Mon May 18 21:39:54 2015In response to Re: Disappointment and Relief - "Highlights"Top of thread

Views: 4150

Glad I wasn't at the game as I'd be banned by now. If that's a red card tackle then I don't want to watch the abomination that football has become.

By tony (tony rice)18/5/2015 23:08Mon May 18 23:08:37 2015In response to Re: Disappointment and Relief - "Highlights"Top of thread

Views: 4203

I hope the 2 is ok as judging by the scream his leg must be broken in at least 3 places.

Disappointment and Relief

By Deadman21/5/2015 09:29Thu May 21 09:29:21 2015In response to Re: Disappointment and Relief - "Highlights"Top of thread

Views: 4022

I see Margate have released seven players......including No. 2.

Re: Disappointment and Relief

By Hendonboy21/5/2015 09:57Thu May 21 09:57:39 2015In response to Disappointment and ReliefTop of thread

Views: 4042

No surprises there. They'll be going straight for promotion again and - leaving aside any feelings people may have about him individually - the seven they've released don't have the pedegrie that Terry Brown'll be looking for - he'll want people with experience at the sharp end of the Conference or Conference South.

Previous thread: 7 Business lessons we can learn from Hendon FC remarkable season by dan_currency19/5/2015 19:22Tue May 19 19:22:49 2015view thread