Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Attention all Hendon tweeps by Simon13/4/2015 09:42Mon Apr 13 09:42:45 2015view thread

Brilliant!

By rwakeley15/4/2015 21:44Wed Apr 15 21:44:36 2015

Views: 3368

Well done lads - so very pleased for you all - total admiration.
Real heart in the mouth stuff - yet again - Delighted for Andre and Ben (in particular - a real safe pair of hands - literally)!
Enjoy it.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Brilliant!

By saintetienne16/4/2015 06:22Thu Apr 16 06:22:16 2015In response to Brilliant!Top of thread

Views: 3245

I was following the livescore update so a big thank to the one that did that.
And a big congratulation to the team and management.
Just hope that all the players can stay focused on the league next and most likely some play-off games.

A fantastic season so far and It can only get better.

By EE16/4/2015 00:02Thu Apr 16 00:02:22 2015In response to Brilliant!Top of thread

Views: 3234

Great game, great night . Another hard won game , with superb goals and some extraordinary defending. Ben had a belter, best yet. Really well done , and thank you to the Grays fans for their generous and sporting applause at the end.

By tony (tony rice)16/4/2015 08:22Thu Apr 16 08:22:45 2015In response to Re: Brilliant!Top of thread

Views: 3153

What a good night and a good game. I don't really want to single anyone out as this group is incredible but Ben was outstanding. I have not seen a team create so much against us for a while but Ben was brilliant.

Well done to Mary Mc, the mgmt and players. Brilliant stuff.

Always proud to be a don but extra proud at the moment.

By Adrian Warren16/4/2015 08:58Thu Apr 16 08:58:17 2015In response to Re: Brilliant!Top of thread

Views: 3177

Fantastic result and a great reward for a team that works so incredibly hard.
I hope every Hendon supporter appreciates just what this current side is achieving and how special this season is turning out to be, irrespective of what happens from here.
Just wish I'd deferred returning to Australia by a couple of days, but good to hear Aussie Ben was a big factor in the win!

By Deadman16/4/2015 09:48Thu Apr 16 09:48:53 2015In response to Re: Brilliant!Top of thread

Views: 3222

It was definitely "a game of two keepers"....with their chap allowing Andre's low shot to just about squirm over the line and Ben making three or four great saves (one of them was truly exceptional). His handling under pressure together with his comfortable fielding of low shots were also features of his performance.

Kezie's goal was brilliantly worked by the team and expertly taken and Andre's second deserved to win any game. What a quality curler!!

So a brilliant night for everyone at the club....especially for those of you who have followed the team through thick and thin.

Finally, although Whyteleafe wouldn't have featured highly on anyone's preferred venue, it turned out to be a lovely ground. Great night!

By BryanR16/4/2015 10:15Thu Apr 16 10:15:04 2015In response to Re: Brilliant!Top of thread

Views: 3237

Fantastic night, despite traffic and parking issues making me slightly fearful about making it in time. Excellent venue - proper old school non-league ground - which generated a fine atmosphere. Full credit to the folk at Whyteleafe for their organisation and hospitality, and hats off to the pour souls in the burger bar who were seemingly slightly taken by surprise by the level of demand. Credit also to the Grays fans, who outnumbered us by quite some margin and were all very friendly before the game and sporting and gracious after it.

Can't really add much to the plaudits for the playing and coaching staff. Did us proud yet again.

I really might have to abstain from Player of the Year voting. Seems unfair picking out any one individual.

By John Rogers16/4/2015 12:11Thu Apr 16 12:11:26 2015In response to Re: Brilliant!Top of thread

Views: 3175

Agree with all the above really. Fantastic night all round.

Whyteleafe were excellent hosts and have a fantastic facility at Church Road. For me, it was a real glimpse of what SJP could become. And the game certainly did them and the Ryman League proud. Two sides committed to playing football, excellent spirit throughout with barely any handbags or unnecessary nonsense.

I thought Grays were excellent, particularly 2nd half. They gave us a real shelling - but I lost count of the number of times a Hendon body got in the way of shots and the number of saves and excellent catches made by Ben. At 3-1, he made 3 genuinely top class saves to preserve the two goal lead.

There's still a heck of a lot to play for, but I'm delighted for everyone - Simon, Rob, Mike, Dave B, Gary, Freddie, Scott, all the players and all the fans - that we have something tangible to show for everyone's efforts this season. Coming away empty handed would have felt somewhat anti-climatic. Instead, I'm thirsty for more now!

Finally, apologies to those unable to get to the game who might have been following the twitter feed for the occasional typo. A combination of crappy smart phone along with almost non-stop action on the pitch made life slightly more difficult than usual.

Well done everyone. Proud to be a Green.

By WestHendonoldskool16/4/2015 13:15Thu Apr 16 13:15:33 2015In response to Re: Brilliant!Top of thread

Views: 3127

Congrats to the players and management, the amount of games they've been through in the last six weeks it's a testament to their mental toughness that we have not lost one of them. First trophy and hopefully the start of a new era.

By Claremont Man16/4/2015 19:08Thu Apr 16 19:08:10 2015In response to Re: Brilliant!Top of thread

Views: 2984

The togetherness of this team has to be seen to be believed,one for all and all for one,the whole squad not just the eleven on the day .In the fifty seven years I have been following the club I really can't remember a more commited bunch than these troupers.
Having not been to Whyteleafe for thirty odd years I was impressed with how they have built their club up and dream of the day ,hopefully not too far distant,that we can follow suit.
Generous praise should be given to Grays Ath. for their contribution to an enthralling game .I know one thing for sure Saturday's match should be another humdinger.Can we put them to the sword again?

By SteveHFC16/4/2015 18:29Thu Apr 16 18:29:13 2015In response to Re: Brilliant!Top of thread

Views: 3184

As those who know me will be aware, last night was my first game for 6 months.

That was a really enjoyable cup final - if a little nervy towards the end, but I could see in that one game that desire, belief and effort that has got us to where we are today - League Cup winners, almost certain to finish top two in the league and third at worst, and in the last four of the London Senior Cup.

It is so difficult to single out an individual, because that was a team performance, all 14 players contributed, but if forced to pick a MOTM it would be Ben for those saves in the last 15-20 minutes.

Credit must also go to Grays - I thought they played really well - the differences were that we were more clinical in front of goal, and tighter defensively. Agree with others that their fans were very friendly before and after the game, and I thought Whyteleafe were excellent hosts.

In talking to one or two players after the game, I felt that whilst there was clear delight at winning the cup, there was a real determination that the job isn't yet complete and there is more to do over the next two or three weeks.

For those who often ask me about penalty shouts - that one on Kezie in the first half - definite penalty - without a doubt. However, due to the proximity of other players, I wonder how much of the incident the referee (who I thought generally had a good game) saw.

Unfortunately circumstances dictate that I'm unlikely to be at any other games this season, but I'll be watching livescores and twitter closely as always.

By StAlbansDon16/4/2015 19:13Thu Apr 16 19:13:15 2015In response to Re: Brilliant!Top of thread

Views: 3018

Sadly I am abroad and was unable to attend the game last night. The Twitter feed was excellent and was able to follow the game if on the edge of my seat at times. Gary and his squad will now be concentrating on the next game with the same determination that has achieved so much this season. We are truly lucky to have such an inspiration with a first class management team behind him. The players will keep performing to their exacting standards until the final whistle of the season. This has been just reward for everyone involved with the club, the squad, Board, Trust, Supporters association and fans alike for years of hard work, mixed with hope. Although our future is not yet determined the first chapter in a new era has just begun.

By Steve L16/4/2015 19:53Thu Apr 16 19:53:11 2015In response to Re: Brilliant!Top of thread

Views: 3041

A day on and time for a little reflection. First up for me was the high standard of football on display from both sides, pitches that allow players to play must surely be the future for as many clubs that can afford to install 3G or similar. The match was a great advert for our league, barely a bad tackle, played in a good spirit, and watched by 2 sets of fans supporting their teams and being respectful. And on that point, though we were outnumbered, Paul and Jake did a great job of keeping the singing and chanting going throughout the night. Finally, some thanks, to Gary and his team, players and back room, the best spirit in over 40 years of watching, a team in the truest sense. And as important, Simon who has given everything and more to the club since we stood behind the goal together when young children, Dave Bedford and others, helping to secure our future, last night was for them, as they have fought to keep giving us a club to support and be proud of.. Onwards, plenty to go for this season..

Previous thread: SJP by John Fordham16/4/2015 19:33Thu Apr 16 19:33:38 2015view thread