Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: SJP by John Fordham16/4/2015 19:33Thu Apr 16 19:33:38 2015view thread

A Classic Case of Bad Timing

By Mike Cox12/4/2015 13:37Sun Apr 12 13:37:13 2015

Views: 3675

Back in January Hendon were having a relatively bad run with only one win (that a great one over Kingstonian). My thoughts turned to an overdue trip to Hong Kong to sort out some family matters and I duly booked our flights for 13th April. Looking at the fixtures I would miss just the last 2 games of the season - at that time little could I or anyone else have expected the Greens' incredible unbeaten run. So now I will miss 1 (or possibly 2) cup finals and at least one play-off game!
It has been a fantastic performance and our best season for yonks - all the best of luck and deserved success in these last important games.

reply to this article | return to the front page

A Classic Case of Bad Timing - part 2

By ChrisHFC12/4/2015 21:00Sun Apr 12 21:00:33 2015In response to A Classic Case of Bad TimingTop of thread

Views: 3407

Most of those who know me will be aware that I have suffered for a number of years with severe osteoarthritis in both hips, hence my occasional use of a walking stick - to be more accurate, a hiking stick.

For some time a hip replacement has been likely. A consultant I saw in February agreed that nothing would happen before June, therefore with the NHS's usual competence I am due for a total hip replacement this coming Wednesday, League Cup Final day!!!

Unless the unexpected happens and the operation is cancelled, my season has ended. I haven't enjoyed a season so much for years, and I've been watching the club since January 1960.

Much of this is down to events on the pitch. Massive congratulations are due to Gary and his staff, and the players for the performances and the results this season. Amongst other things, they have proved that you do not have to spend massive amounts in acquiring players.

We used to joke that the Burgess twins had green blood in their veins - particularly James, such was their commitment to Hendon. I guess the same is true of just about the whole squad this season given everybody's commitment to the cause and the ability to keep producing performance after performance and result after result when matches seemed to be going against us and the starting eleven in recent games must have been tired out before kick-off.

However not all the good news has come on the pitch. The Board, the Trust, the Supporters' Association, and Graham and his assistants all deserve huge thanks for all the work they have put in - both seen and unseen. The work put in so far at SJP and the acquisition of the new commercial team shows that the club is definitely going in the right direction off the field as well as on it.

With a minimum of five matches to play and a maximum of eight, the end of the season is definitely in sight, and the management team and players will deserve their close season break. However every match to be played is effectively ' a cup final', so the best of luck to everybody at the club - keep believing and the right results will come. I'm just sorry that I won't be around for the finishing stretch.

Re: A Classic Case of Bad Timing - part 3

By Adrian Warren13/4/2015 01:00Mon Apr 13 01:00:42 2015In response to A Classic Case of Bad Timing - part 2Top of thread

Views: 3305

Sadly, I head home to Australia today, and will miss the last few chapters of an amazing season.
The four games I've seen over the last couple of weeks have filled me with pride and admiration for a team that refuses to give in.
Backing up against Dulwich less than 48 hours after a long trip and draining struggle and coming from a goal down and man down to get a point against Hamlet was fantastic.
I know some people will be disappointed at not getting three points from that game, but most sides would have struggled to get one, given all the adverse circumstances.
Best of luck to Gary and the boys for the rest of the season.
I will be monitoring livescores closely through the early hours of Australian mornings over the next few weeks!

By Deadman13/4/2015 07:33Mon Apr 13 07:33:58 2015In response to Re: A Classic Case of Bad Timing - part 3Top of thread

Views: 3203

A pleasure to have met you Adrian. Think you managed five games? (Corinthian Casuals, Leatherhead, Maidstone, Wingate and Dulwich) and an 80% win record is pretty impressive!

Have a safe journey and hope to see you again in the future...whether it be next season at Earlsmead or thereafter, hopefully at SJP.

By Adrian Warren13/4/2015 12:46Mon Apr 13 12:46:09 2015In response to Re: A Classic Case of Bad Timing - part 3Top of thread

Views: 3395

I only saw four games as I missed the Maidstone and Margate games to visit elderly relatives in London and Bristol. Not sure my ticker could have withstood two more thrillers against the Kent teams!!
Thanks to you and all the Hendon supporters, both young and old, and familiar and unfamiliar faces for making me so welcome and reminding me again why watching non league football is so rewarding.
I won't see any more games this season, but will be at the Leiston game in spirit, as I'm sponsoring the game,

By Jeff Hill (Malc)15/4/2015 10:02Wed Apr 15 10:02:23 2015In response to Re: A Classic Case of Bad Timing - part 3Top of thread

Views: 3209

Whilst on the subject of timing, this is a reminder that tonight's game has a 7.30 kick off.

Previous thread: Dulwich - apologies from me.x 5 by EE11/4/2015 20:48Sat Apr 11 20:48:22 2015view thread