Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: B*gger Bognor... by Deadman7/12/2014 08:49Sun Dec 7 08:49:59 2014view thread

London Bari ....

By Jake Osborn (legacy user)3/12/2014 00:04Wed Dec 3 00:04:08 2014

Views: 4129

Quite possibly out worst game ever
Yes the ref was a bit of a joke and the linesman didn't have a clue (offside from the opposition playing the ball ??) and the grass was longer than my hair
Despite all that we didn't deserve to win even on penalties

A poor game made worse by the fact we didn't even look like a team a number of leagues above and failed to rise to the occasion
We had the not a handful of chances and the way the keeper felt with them showed we could of shipped a good few past him no problem

Certainly it was a bad night and one I hope won't live long in the memory but I do hope we take this lesson on board and strive to amend it against the next side out (I've been told wombles under 18s)

Hopefully service will resume over the weekend and next Tuesday

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: London Bari ....

By Deadman (legacy user)3/12/2014 10:14Wed Dec 3 10:14:19 2014In response to London Bari ....Top of thread

Views: 4229

For sure it was a grim affair last night but I'll give credit to London Bari who grew into the game after a shaky start. Tactically they were pretty astute, maintaining a decent shape and defending their box well. Their tiny sweeper read the play superbly and broke up a number of attacks. Ultimately the pitch hindered both sides in terms of providing entertainment but the effort of the players could not be faulted.

As for the pens.....Hendon stayed calm whilst Bari panicked a bit. I've never seen a penalty shoot out conclude with a lost ball before. It was quite fitting really. Was also quite surprised to see one of the Hendon players already at Plaistow station when I got there after the game!

Ps...I thought Bari should have been awarded a penalty in the 2nd half. The smack of boot on boot was clearly audible and the Bari bench were hopping mad. And I estimate the crowd of 27 was made up of about 20 Hendon fans, 1 Bari fan (the woman behind the goal) and 6 unidentified in the "main stand." I'm not counting any of the youth who seemed to appear for the penalties!

Not quite

By David B (legacy user)3/12/2014 15:44Wed Dec 3 15:44:04 2014In response to Re: London Bari ....Top of thread

Views: 3912

Definitely not the worst game ever. My nomination was a Full-Members Cup tie against Boreham Wood which we lost on penalties after one attempt on target (B Wood) in 120 freezing minutes. The game started sub-zero temperatures and it only got colder. In the penalty shoot-out we lost, I think 2?0, and our four failures included two more misses. I also remember a goalless draw with Woking in the Isthmian League when neither team put an effort on target. It should be remembered, however, that London Bari are 13th in the Essex Senior League, so this was very big performance and game for them.

As for the coldest, away v Heybridge Swifts, 30 December 2000, probably wins it ? the referee said he would have abandoned the match rather than allowing the goalkeepers to risk their health on the frozen tundra in a penalty shoot-out ? we lost 6?5 after extra time. Second coldest was away v Bishops Stortford in the Full Members Cup 1994, we won on penalties, but the air temperature that night (no wind chill) was ?12C!

re: London Bari

By mike cox (legacy user)3/12/2014 16:32Wed Dec 3 16:32:37 2014In response to Not quiteTop of thread

Views: 3984

Just hope the Club spends wisely its share of the gate receipts.

Re: re: London Bari

By Colchester Don (legacy user)3/12/2014 19:12Wed Dec 3 19:12:07 2014In response to re: London BariTop of thread

Views: 4013

27, and they ran out of programmes. Seriously?

Often think the Middx/London Cups could do with an injection of vigour from the professional clubs. I have a programme some lads at school gave me from the 1991 Charity Cup Final which featured a very strong Chelsea side, so it can happen.

By Paul Butler (legacy user)5/12/2014 11:18Fri Dec 5 11:18:25 2014In response to Re: re: London BariTop of thread

Views: 3941

Completely agree the pro clubs should do what the Wombles are doing with it, play the youth sides so they get a few games against more experienced opposition.

By John Fordham (legacy user)3/12/2014 20:09Wed Dec 3 20:09:16 2014In response to Re: re: London BariTop of thread

Views: 3925

They printed 15 and when I arrived 20 mins before kick-off had already run out.

Previous thread: Wingate & Finchley - Matchball and Match Sponsorship by Simon4/12/2014 12:04Thu Dec 4 12:04:32 2014view thread