Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: met police game...... by mello12/8/2014 22:34Tue Aug 12 22:34:00 2014view thread

Lev'red: Outstanding Profanity Tally.

By alan ainsworth (legacy user)9/8/2014 21:02Sat Aug 9 21:02:58 2014

Views: 5440

At the bottom of the West End at lunchtime, so dashed to Lev'red v. Peacehaven & Telscombe.
After two f-words in the opening minute or so from Tanners' boss Richard Brady, I decided to do a "Mary Whitehouse" and tally them up.
By half-time the f-word count was twenty-three. Six from the pitch, the rest from the home dugout.
The second half saw a substantial escalation. A perceived dive - unsuccessful, in terms of convincing the ref - by a P&T player, followed by a dicey free-kick against the Tanners 10 seconds later, brought a round dozen f-words, a c-word and a p**** from Mr.Brady in around sixty seconds.
Towards the end, a handbags session, which saw a conference twixt ref and lino and a Tanner marching for a stamp, provoked a slanging match between the benches, won convincingly by the home dugout by a score of 20 f-words to 4. (Other than during this altercation, the P&T bench didn't score.) The handbags session also provoked the only two audible f-words from the crowd.

Bog standard game.
I'd be confident those who followed the shrewd money - and the Racing Post preview - and went in on Peacehaven each-way are going to do their dough. Not a lot there, talentwise, but they're maybe only a whippet and a top-notch midfielder from being play-off possibles. Must be said that they're unlikely to have pebbles kicked in their faces by bullies on Saaf Essix beaches when the wind comes whistling up the Thames Estuary on a rainy February evening. No need for many of them to cut a Charles Atlas coupon out of a newspaper. They will be solid. Nothing special. 4-4-1-1. Many of them are well-known to Hendon anoraks. Keeper DiBernardo, a Sussex regular for a while, is solid, if occasionally ambitious outside his back stick. The back four does a job but they're quite slow - the outstanding but now ancient left-back Mark Knee was on the bench, while they fielded a right-footed left-back. Main supply line is from another Sussex regular, Josh Jones, down the left flank. Not a lot of creativity in the middle and not much pace anywhere. Hole lad, Tom Burton, works hard when his side isn't in possession - but he's not Peter Dean. Number nine Jamie Brotherton's been turning out v. Hendon for Sussex teams for ten seasons or so, has impressed me in recent years and may bag 20 goals at this level.

Lev'red are very much a work in progress. Looked laboured in the extreme in a dire first half, but improved strikingly after half-time - God knows how many expletives Mr.Brady fired at them in the dressing room. Standard-ish 4-4-2, though it was slightly diamond-ish, with Matt Smart usually behind Richard Avery in the engine room. Big centre-halves. Ryan Dolby at left-back can get up and sling in a cross. Leftie Nathan Koranteng on the right wing; totally unlisted bloke named Vasilios Karagiannis (I think) on the left - maybe I'm going blind (or deaf) but he didn't look very Greek to me - tricky but not penetrative. Carl Rook leading the line; with Kiernan Hughes-Mason beside him but often dropping deep - P&T let him pick a loose ball up, run 15 yards and rifle a right-footed 25-yarder for the 1st Tanners' goal. Useful thug Scott Kinch and talented ex-Ricay lightweight (by Ricay standards) Paul Semakula listed in the squad. They looked good enough to finish halfway up the table after the HT bollocking but will be nearer the bottom than the top come April - probably a lot nearer.

Final profanity tally?
92 f-words, one c-word and a p****.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Foul & Abusive Language

By mickeygee (legacy user)11/8/2014 13:17Mon Aug 11 13:17:43 2014In response to Lev'red: Outstanding Profanity Tally. Top of thread

Views: 4469

An interesting exercise A.A. Glad you're not wasting your time watching football !

Bearing in mind that almost every club posts notices warning that "Foul & Abusive Language will not be tolerated" etc. have you thought about conducting your survey at every game you attend and then selling the result of your survey to the press at the end of the season ?
It could be known as the F.A.L league table - Hendon could be top - or bottom, whichever way you look at it !

This could earn you a decent fee - and save you that awful business of having to watch a football match !

Messrs. Anderson & Borg on Mogadon

By alan ainsworth (legacy user)14/8/2014 10:35Thu Aug 14 10:35:12 2014In response to Foul & Abusive LanguageTop of thread

Views: 4829

It's much harder to hear the benches at Earlsmead than at Fetcham Grove. Even though I was much nearer to the dugouts on Tuesday at Harrow v. Enfield Town, the noise of the fans on the covered side terrace can drown out comments from the benches and the pitch. The open bank at Lev'red is more acoustic-friendly for noise carrying from the middle.
However, I heard only three f-words on Tuesday night. Two from ETFC fans, which were not much more than mutterings and one from George Borg, which was again muttered to himself as much as anyone else. At no stage did Mr. Borg harangue officials and he rarely moved from the dugout. Mr. Anderson often stood by the corner of his dugout but remained seated for long spells.
Neither team looked much cop. Simeon Akinola continues to look better than Albert Adomah did for most of his time at Harrow. Without Akinola, Harrow might finish below Lev'red... which would probably be fatal. A slimmed-down Mark Kirby played centre-forward for Enfield, who were fairly dire, though Mr. Borg seemed chipper enough when leaving after the game. I'd imagine he'll sort them out, but they'll do well to finish halfway up.

Previous thread: Hendon FC v Bury Town FC PDF Programme by John Rice12/8/2014 20:29Tue Aug 12 20:29:38 2014view thread