Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Maidstone car parking by John Fordham3/1/2014 18:58Fri Jan 3 18:58:14 2014view thread

Saturday

By Paul Butler (legacy user)3/1/2014 11:10Fri Jan 3 11:10:42 2014

Views: 5241

Do we reckon we'll be the only game that survives the weather Saturday? Or is it not as bad as the other day?

Interesting home advantage Maidstone have with their Lego pitch, is it still the case that the Conference rules wouldn't allow them to be promoted though? That could pose them a problem...

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Saturday

By SteveHFC (legacy user)3/1/2014 11:35Fri Jan 3 11:35:35 2014In response to SaturdayTop of thread

Views: 4770

I think there is a distinct chance our game could be only one that survives. Forecast isn't good for the next few days - I suspect we won't be playing Wealdstone on Monday if what is forecast actually comes.

As it stands, Conference rules won't let them be promoted, but I believe some of the existing Conference clubs are pushing for an EGM to be called to propose a rule change. My gut feeling is that things will be sorted out so that they can go up should they end up in such a position at the end of the season.

Does seem ludicrous that the pitch is acceptable for a Champions League tie or an International - but not a Conference game.

Greensnet - The Official Hendon FC Website
Hendon FC Supporters Trust Official Website

Plastic not so fantastic

By David B (legacy user)3/1/2014 12:23Fri Jan 3 12:23:44 2014In response to Re: SaturdayTop of thread

Views: 4955

I have spoken to a number of groundsmen, some of whom tend to 3G and 4G surfaces, as well as watching many games in different sports played on the all-weather surfaces.

Although what follows is mainly negative, I do see the big benefits from having a 3G/4G surface. Am I in favour of them? I really don?t know!

One thing stands out above all else; there is a huge advantage playing on 3G/4G pitches in that not only do the players have greater familiarity with the surface than those who play on grass week in week out, but playing on grass is less of a disadvantage, because 3G/4G teams play just about their games on the natural surface.

I have so far seen only one 3G/4G surface in Britain which is true and fair, and that is Allianz Park, home of Saracens. It should be noted, however, that their under-surface has been treated with a type of shock-absorber to deaden the bounce, and soften the landing for tackled players.

Every other pitch I have seen has an issue with friction, i.e. the ball stopping or slowing as it would on a natural surface. Maybe the answer would be have slightly longer plastic grass ? as at Allianz Park ? to help this process, but there is the very dangerous negative of players getting their studs (or whatever) caught in the longer grass and suffering catastrophic damage to knees and/or ankles.

The huge benefit, of course, is the almost guaranteed certainty of a game going ahead ? the only dangers are: thick fog, heavy snowfall too close to kick-off or compromising spectator safety; a really deep frost; or - as Sittingbourne found out when going to Guernsey last month - outside travel difficulties make it impossible to reach the stadium at all (in the late 1960s, a game at Houston?s Astrodome was cancelled because rain flooded the car park and, in the 2000s, the Metrodome in Minneapolis was closed when heavy snow caused the roof to cave in!).

Whatever else happens, tomorrow, this will be our first visit to the Gallagher Stadium, so it is a new ground and we will almost certainly be playing in front of our biggest crowd of the season. Our last match in Maidstone was on Saturday 5 September 1970, a 2-1 win courtesy of goals from John Baker and Bobby Wilson.

Off to buy some waders!

By rwakeley (legacy user)3/1/2014 12:46Fri Jan 3 12:46:51 2014In response to Plastic not so fantasticTop of thread

Views: 4898

Bought my train tickets for Maidstone and Lewes last month. My two longest journeys of the season. Honestly don't know what to do. With the game all but confirmed, I am naturally concerned with the travel. If all goes to plan I don't get home until eleven. I can't afford delays. I have heard of pre-Christmas travel problems around London Bridge pertaining to "slippery tracks" - off to try and find present information.
I actually travelled down mid-week, not in so-much hope as a game but to act touristy. The trains were slowed as they passed through Oxon and Bucks as water was encroaching the lines. The levels of surface water was un-parralleled.
As for my personal take on plastic, I think it is idiosyncratic and hence will offer an aid to the side of whom is most accustomed.
I get the feeling I am not going to be happy what-ever happens on and off the pitch tommorrow.
Either way, good luck to one and all - here's hoping for a good result.

rwakeley

Previous thread: Enfield Town game postponed by SteveHFc1/1/2014 10:29Wed Jan 1 10:29:02 2014view thread