Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Reply to "Re: Pre-season thoughts"

You must log in or register before you can post an article

return to the front page

Re: Pre-season thoughts

By rwakeley31/5/2019 12:48Fri May 31 12:48:11 2019In response to Re: Thoughts

Views: 9820

I think this pre-season has been fascinating in this division. A lot of consolidation. Just seen Cole Brown has left Walton - destination unknown. The Met L/b become a Womble. A trend of young players seemingly being cherry picked, presumably based in some cases as budgets appear to be reigned in.
The one side that fascinates me is Slough. Keep bashing on about them. I think they've got a working model. Very young side with a few experienced older heads. Many of their players have short life spans at the club. Constantly keeping on top of developements else-where. Rough calculation of our squad to date - average age 23. By neccessity or by design, I think we are competing in the same proximity. I also believe our gaffer has an eye for a player. Ryan Hope had a stint at Slough. I think it fits the profile and the direction this manager will try to elevate. All managers are continually crying out for more dosh. Slough have shown they have a template. The word's patience and time are invaluable in this process. It's a continuation process, rather than a scattergun approach adopted by most. Short-term squad aside, I think this lad has already demonstated he can take us in a positive direction. These really young lads, have a lot of progress. Charlie Smith - another, in that vein. I think the characteristic of that profile is becoming evident. The lad Jacob has a similar profile.
I think the next couple of years, could be different to what we're accustomed style wise, but could potentially be very absorbing. I think we're going in the right direction.