Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Request for help from historians / stattos - other matches at Claremont Road by Bomber30/10/2019 09:50Wed Oct 30 09:50:44 2019view thread

Re: Tactically thinking

By rwakeley30/10/2019 22:41Wed Oct 30 22:41:08 2019In response to Tactically thinking

Views: 7443

I've lost it! Back again! I type quicker than my mind works! I've been thinking about our line-up and my thoughts are bit all over the place, here goes. I had a thought with regards to the player churn debate and why I believe managers, including our own, in the present wind condition get a raw deal. First 4 games this season, identical line-up, (starting XI). However good the quality of the squad in-depth aside, I've looked at past seasons and drawn some conclusions. In both play-off years in the first 15 matches, the same number to date, excluding minor cups, we utilised an average of around 1.5 changes to the starting XI game by game. This season, including the first 4 identical starting XI's the number is an average of nearly 4. There's obviously factors in that, injuries a key consideration, but the value of a settled starting XI cannot be under-estimated. 2018-19, play-off year, September, saw the introduction of one Mr Michael Corcoran to the team. You can see the transformation. Admittedly, the lad Josh Walker also came on board. That signified a 3 man front attack, Josh, Nat-George and Niko. Michael Corks was also tried in a couple of games in the No8 shirt. Gross similarities to where we are at. Same names for crying out loud! I think James is onto something longer-out and clearly needs time to construct is ideas. The 3 up-front notion with Corks as the fulcrum can work. I think the lad has a dilemma which way to go tactically. There is clear validation of several routes. Give the lad some time to work things out. I think we need to bolster our midfield across the field in terms of width. We may well be on the right track here. As for Saturday, I would pack the midfield tighter than a tin of sardines and go uber defensive. Stick with it.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Previous thread: I felt numb! by rwakeley26/10/2019 17:32Sat Oct 26 17:32:41 2019view thread