Please note: this site will be unavailable between 4.30pm and 5.30pm on Wednesday 17 April due to routine maintenance

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: No game, some positives by John Rogers2/11/2019 17:58Sat Nov 2 17:58:22 2019view thread

Request for help from historians / stattos - other matches at Claremont Road

By Bomber30/10/2019 09:50Wed Oct 30 09:50:44 2019

Views: 1749

Hello all,

To (hopefully) distract from all the current stuff...

Being a complete sad-sack, I'm trying to work out all the games I've been to (cos, you know, important stuff). And I've whittled it down to four games at Claremont Road that I can find no reference to anywhere on the internet (unsurprisingly, not involving the first team...). They are:

- About 1990/1991, there was a charity friendly match between a Cannon Cinemas XI and Jewish Chronicle XI. I know it was a Sunday. I know it ended 2-2. It rained. Couldn't tell you anything else about the game, apart from Mark Hughes played in it. Yes, THAT Mark Hughes. The one who worked for Cannon Cinemas.

- Around the same time, there used to be a short-lived annual match between the GAA All-Ireland Champions and the GAA National League champions on St. Patrick's weekend. In 1991, it was between Mayo and Donegal (Mayo won it). Now, I *think* in 1990 (or it could have been 1992) there was a game between Mayo and Down, same thing. But I can't find anything anywhere for it (tried on various GAA forums).

- Around 2007/2008 ish, I remember Romford had their ground closed towards the end of the season, and ended up playing a home game at Claremont Road. At least I think it was Romford. They certainly played in the game, but I can't remember if they were the home or away side. Anywyay, they won 3-0 and got promoted. Or they lost 3-0 and the other team got promoted. I remember that bit as I celebrated with the fans and players at the final whistle, because lolz. Anyway - anyone got any recollection of this?

- last one. There was a game at Claremont Road AFTER the last home game of the season, where either the U16s or U18s played a match (could have been any season from 2001 onwards - I can't remember if Jacs was around then, and when I asked her if she remembered it, I got a blank look). It was a few hours after, so was enough time to out and get some food and come back. No idea of the teams, score, or date - I do remember a small child wandered out onto the pitch at one stage, and nobody noticed until the kid nearly got decapitated by a clearance.

If anyone has ANY idea about any of the above (dates, scores, actual teams involved etc), it would massively help me sleep at night, and I will buy them a pint next time I make it to a game (though with work currently, that could also be a pint celebrating the start of the 2020 season).

Hope all's well.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: Re: Request for help from historians / stattos - other matches at Claremont Road by ChrisHFC30/10/2019 14:14Wed Oct 30 14:14:48 2019

Previous thread: Tactically thinking by rwakeley30/10/2019 22:27Wed Oct 30 22:27:14 2019view thread