Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: This reminds me of 2016-17 by rwakeley26/12/2018 16:45Wed Dec 26 16:45:26 2018view thread

Re: Greener Grass

By rwakeley29/12/2018 20:49Sat Dec 29 20:49:41 2018In response to Greener Grass

Views: 8812

One fan I spoke to recently expressed the notion that he would expect Hendon to struggle should they ever get promoted. With that notion in mind, today, I've produced a timeline of all clubs to pass through the Connie South. Spare a thought for Chelmsford - 6 failed play-off attempts. WSM the only ever-present in 14 years, looking unlikely to maintain that record. What really struck me was the average time spent in the league once having gained entry via relegation from the Conference or promotion from the feeders. The average time spent by a club in the division is a mere 3.8 years. I then did the Ryman Prem - it's even less, despite Hendon & Harrow being ever-present over the same time-frame. What is really quite noticeable is that around 3.8 years sides that have survived usually have a reversal in fortunes - Wealdstone take note. Smack in the eye of the storm. The likes of stalwarts, Maidenhead and Welling all have noticable 3 or 4 year changes of directions in their final league positions. Co-incidence perhaps. Through-out both divisions many sides have initial 2 or 3 attempts at the play-offs before dropping. A lot of these sides appear to be the Coastal teams. Heavily dependent upon momentum. They can also fall amongst the hardest. I'm pretty sure that there are various individual reasons behind these patterns. The behaviour of the consistency is interesting. Identifying the clubs and their approach is also visable. I'm starting to think a well designed mathematical model may well be able to predict the league. Maybe I'm going mad! Consolidation rather than going for broke is clearly beneficial. I was going to overlay these teams performances with managerial replacements as things were being flagged up there - I've decided to leave my predictive analysis, or complete garbage, on hold, and go down the pub instead! Happy New Year Folks!

reply to this article | return to the front page

Previous thread: Well Played Young Man - Gaffer by rwakeley23/12/2018 01:02Sun Dec 23 01:02:15 2018view thread