Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Folkestone - DD Day! by PF8/4/2017 12:29Sat Apr 8 12:29:16 2017view thread

Tonbridge

By PF1/4/2017 11:33Sat Apr 1 11:33:26 2017

Views: 3576

Is today really do or die? I can't quite make up my mind on this one. We have 5 games left. 3 wins ought to do it. 2 wins and a draw could possibly do it too but with our bad goal difference it's probably unlikely to be enough. So therefore I can envisage 2 possible defeats out of the 5 games and still surviving if we win the rest.

Basically I'm trying to think of ways that I can take the pressure off today's match. Sure it's hellishly important we don't lose but we are playing a stronger team than ourselves who happen to be in the doldrums form wise. This always makes for dangerous opponents that you have to be wary of.

Tonbridge have just recently dropped out of the play off zone. They'll see today as a must win match otherwise their play off hopes will take another battering. Dulwich have 2 games in hand on them and are 2 points ahead. Tonbridge's form has nose dived spectacularly. They haven't won any of their last 7 games. Oddly, they had won their previous three before that!

Funny how form works in this league. You can never take any thing for granted. They probably thought they were in for a great shot at the top a couple of months ago and now they can't buy a win for love nor money. The last 7 games as I said earlier, make sorry reading for them. Not scoring and letting in too easy is not a good combo as we all know too well following the Greens this season!

However we still have to be fearful of their forwards who can turn it on to great affect at times. I don't know if they've lost players or been out injured but they've stopped scoring the goals and hence the team has stopped winning. Today will be a harder game for them than us I believe. And I really mean that. I think our newly found battling qualities might be a little too much for the Angels.

By all accounts we deserved much more from the game at their ground and I expect today's game to be a much more balanced affair with the Greens having more possession. It's what we do with it that counts of course. I've seen plenty of home games in this my first season following the Greens, and the performances have been mixed to say the least. I don't feel that the team fully feels at HOME playing at SJP yet but it's getting there. I do hope that that feeling doesn't come in a lower division though.

As we all know things have improved tremendously over the last few weeks. I still have a nagging fear that the Leatherhead disaster might yet haunt us but we have to focus on each match as it comes and I'm sure the management have told the players to each concentrate on their jobs throughout the 90 and that's all they can ask for.

I hope our more skillful players can shine today and try to play a more expansive style of football. Matches at SJP especially when it's been windy have been a bit of a nightmare for both sides really with no one able to really let their footballing talent show. Not expecting a glut of goals today somehow but I think a battling win would be great but even a draw won't be a complete disaster and keeps us in the hunt. A 2-1 (great) or 2-2 (acceptable) scoreline looks ok from my point of view. We'll see. It's exciting anyway. Come on you Greens!

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: Re: Tonbridge by PF1/4/2017 15:52Sat Apr 1 15:52:24 2017

Previous thread: AFC Sudbury get the points by rwakeley30/3/2017 15:33Thu Mar 30 15:33:49 2017view thread