Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Great Result Today! by PF18/3/2017 20:44Sat Mar 18 20:44:23 2017view thread

Leatherhead

By PF11/3/2017 10:52Sat Mar 11 10:52:52 2017

Views: 3222

The six pointer cliche is an easy one to drop and everyone does it but this time it really is a massive and I mean MASSIVE 6 pointer. This is a game that neither side will be wanting to lose. Neither side can really afford to lose and in their case a defeat will almost be a final nail in the relegation coffin. In our case a defeat will be hard to swallow and will probably result in both clubs having to fight an almost certain losing battle. After Tuesday's fantastic result I said I would take a draw here and I stand by that stance.

If the match ends in a draw the table might look a touch worse depending on how other results go but you have to look at the bigger picture. This will be a good point away from home and our new found ability to grind out home wins stands us in good stead. Having said that I still expect the team to battle for the full three. We have to really. We need to get as close as to 50 as quickly as possible.

Plus we are playing a team in freefall. I was at the game at SJP with Leatherhead. Granted they actually lost the 3 points they won but they absolutely murdered us that day. I am so surprised to see them actually below us in the table. I guess the shock of losing that three points has hurtled them into a sort of disbelief that they are actually facing relegation and they've stopped playing for the manager.

They've won just one of their last 10 league matches which is relegation form in any one's book. That win was a much needed win at home to Sudbury. They do normally tend to get 1 or 2 goals though but defensively they've been shocking and even worse than us in our bad run around xmas time. I still think they can score goals though and they proved it here at SJP when they played us off the park that first half as I recall. They've also recently had a 4-4 draw at Tonbridge and most teams lose there so they can pull off one off spectaculars.

Defensively we need to be at our very best today to nullify their forwards. From memory they like to pass it around like their boss did in his playing days. The problem is passing teams normally get found out at this level sooner or later and Leatherhead are no different. Pretty and neat football can only get you so far before your battling qualities must shine through. Pretty much exactly what we've shown the last few weeks.

I do expect goals in this encounter though and I doubt that we can hold our goal locked for the full 90 against a desperate side. Meanwhile up front we need to be clinical and put away any chances that go begging. We've often been very wasteful in front of goal this season but we can't afford that at all. I am predicting a 2-2 draw or possibly a 3-2 win for either side depending on how up and down it is.

The stakes are very high for the winner and I expect it might get a bit feisty. Bullard will get them pumped and the Greens must keep cool and play to the whistle. Recent refs have been shocking and we've managed to win in spite of them rather than because so let's hope it's a fair match with no controversy but that's quite rare for a Hendon match! We'll see.

Looking at the other games quickly we need H&W to slaughter Sudbury and they should do. Grays and Canvey is gonna be hard. A draw will be ok there but even a Grays win would be better. Hamlet should be too good for Merstham but they still have so many games to play so I'm sort of considering Merstham as safe. 'ricay should really do us a favour though and beat Burgess Hill at home and I'm sure they will..

Good luck Greens. Put one over Bullard's men!

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: Re: HT by PF11/3/2017 15:55Sat Mar 11 15:55:57 2017

Previous thread: Where we are by JD 11/3/2017 23:01Sat Mar 11 23:01:48 2017view thread