Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Mark Kirby by richhend4/9/2015 12:51Fri Sep 4 12:51:46 2015view thread

Random ramblings from a Grumpy Old Man (by the BBC definition of GOM)

By David B3/9/2015 18:35Thu Sep 3 18:35:20 2015In response to Re: Gary`s GREEN and WHITE......

Views: 2260

It is not black and white, green and white, green and black, all red, midnight blue, two shades of blue, or any other colour combinations! Predominantly, it is the older supporters who are less tolerant of misbehaviour, as much, I guess, because when we started watching Hendon, bookings were terrible and sendings off almost a case of expulsion from the club. This intolerance is probably equally felt in life as in football.

In the late 1970s, Corinthian?Casuals still had that policy and their player manager was sacked between the ref pointing to the dressing room and him leaving the pitch ? his kit-bag and clothes were piled on the floor outside the dressing room. It wasn?t until the mid-to-late 1970s/early1980s that they actually allowed their goalkeepers to actually attempt to save a penalty awarded against them.

A famous American football coach one said, "Winning isn't everything, it is the ONLY thing." Another team's owner was even more succinct, "Just win baby!" was his mantra. Both teams were hugely successful, but one of those teams was notoriously dirty, the other just hard, so over-aggression was not the answer. Finding the balance is what it is all about.

I am uneasy that we seem to be picking up too many of the wrong type of cards ? dissent yellows and violent conduct reds. As I said in my post last week, some cards are understandable and occasionally acceptable ? "taking one for the team" is the usual phrase ? but our booking count is not that much higher than our opponents' early in the season.

When things were going so brilliantly in the final third of last season, we seemed to be able to overcome this type of adversity. Now, with so many new players, it is taking a while. What happened in the spring was that the expectation level rose to previously (for the last 40 years anyway) unimagined levels and the drop-off has been steep.

If East Thurrock had not scored the winner and we had picked up points at Leiston and against Harrow, would the anguish and anger have been as bad? It is a hypothetical question which cannot be answered.

I have complete faith in Gary, Freddie Scott and Co.?s ability to turn things around, but we do need to be patient. I know it is early in the season, but only two of our first seven League opponents are in the bottom half of the table (the two we beat); if we can get a winning run going, the sun will shine, the birds will sing and the cards will diminish ? I hope.

Edited by David B at 18:35:47 on 3rd September 2015

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: Re: Gary`s GREEN and WHITE...... by dw2/9/2015 21:42Wed Sep 2 21:42:20 2015

Previous thread: You can blame me by Mike Cox31/8/2015 17:22Mon Aug 31 17:22:02 2015view thread