Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Historic Night by rwakeley26/3/2015 21:54Thu Mar 26 21:54:22 2015view thread

Great Time To Be a Hendon Fan

By HendonJohn22/3/2015 10:52Sun Mar 22 10:52:57 2015

Views: 3801

We have had a good few years in the wilderness. Being forced out of our spiritual home was heartbreaking. However, a small group of fans gave up considerable time and made sacrifices to keep the club going. Their dedication kept the Hendon FC name alive and has helped us get where we are today. Our future was uncertain though. What was certain was the hope. That was at the heart of all we have been through.

During our ?transition? someone unconnected with the club used the term ?a club in terminal decline? to describe our situation. That is what it appeared to the outside world and to some within the club as well. At times the atmosphere felt like people were waiting for the turnstiles to shut for the final time. Whilst there was breath in their bodies certain parties would not let that happen. Behind the scenes we held endless meetings with people making promises, were presented deals that were not what they seemed and even continual research into opportunities bore no fruition. A considerable amount went on behind the scenes that was never mentioned because constant presentation of fruitless opportunities would have been soul destroying to all concerned.

Off The Pitch
A small group of people worked extremely hard to keep the club going. Their commitment has ensured we have a Hendon FC to watch. Then Simon Lawrence met with Rob Morris and the exciting journey towards moving into Silver Jubilee Park began. Rob has a raft of ideas and contacts to help the club. SJP is our aim. It is not a done deal but we are ever hopeful it can happen. This has galvanised us and created a new energy amongst us all. The introduction of the youth teams is a real boon to the club.

Commercial Team
The introduction of the Commercial Team will give us a focus and manpower to start promoting the club and games in a way we have been unable to do until now. It certainly sounds exciting and the expertise they will bring can only benefit the club.

On The Pitch
Gary has worked wonders. He has created a formidable squad of players. They are far from being the best paid in the league but you can tell each and every one is proud to wear a green shirt and be part of the squad. We have a squad we should all be very proud of.

This Season

We have had an incredible season, so far. We are second in the league; we have one quarter final and one final to go as well. The performances have been superb. The players are giving their all and they make me even more proud of our club.

I have always been proud to be a green. Whether we win, lose or draw I try to turn up to the games I can. Work prohibits that at times. At the moment though, I am making more of an effort. I start earlier so I can finish on time. That pride is compounded at the moment though. Much more than that, I see Hendon going from strength to strength. A move to SJP would put us closer to ?home?. It enables us to connect to those from the area who cannot make it these days. Many of you will have fond memories of Swannell, Haider, McCann, Drummy, Egbe, Duncan, Brady, Street and more. Come and watch us now. So in the future when they talk of Ibe, the Maclarens, Goode you know who they will be talking about.

The futures bright, the futures green and white!

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: SJP and the League grading by Paul Butler23/3/2015 21:09Mon Mar 23 21:09:56 2015

Previous thread: Maidstone or Margate...? by Deadman25/3/2015 11:07Wed Mar 25 11:07:13 2015view thread