Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Third Witham postponement by David B14/1/2015 13:34Wed Jan 14 13:34:04 2015view thread

Re: Oh

By John Fordham (legacy user)13/1/2015 17:52Tue Jan 13 17:52:07 2015In response to Oh

Views: 3425

I think you are still missing my point David. Responding to your comments:

"The only people at a club who should ever contact a referee are the Secretary and Match Secretary."

Is this set in stone or a personal opinion? If it is set in stone then there is no problem with the groundsman contacting the match ref through the Secretary.

"I don?t agree with you that referees should able to postpone matches on the evidence of photographs and, as I mentioned in the previous posting, unless there has been a major weather incident, they should be at the ground to see the state of the pitch for themselves."

As repeatedly stated, I have not said that should be based on photographic evidence. That's just one possible example - another example is just a factual statement, maybe supported by the Secretary. What prompted this thread is not knowing whether it is possible within the 'rules' for a ref to make a remote decision. Is this possible? You state that the ref should be at the ground to see the state of the pitch - is that just a personal opinion? Obviously doesn't apply if a local ref is called in as happened yesterday.

"Last night was very inconvenient for everyone concerned ? I was one hour into my journey to Earlsmead and it took me almost two more to get home ? but it was a combination of unfortunate circumstances that caused postponement. And, at 5.00pm, it is quite possible, even if there had been enough light, that a photograph might not have persuaded the referee to call off the game."

As I have repeatedly stated, any evidence given to a ref remotely may not be accepted and the ref insist on inspecting the pitch - this is fair enough. What I am promoting is that, if the 'rules' allow, then the ref should be given the opportunity of making a remote decision based upon the advice of the person who knows the pitch - the groundsman. If the rules don't allow, then I'm suggesting that they should be reviewed.

By the way, taking photo's after dark is not a problem - turn the floodlights on as has to happen for a pitch inspection anyway.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: Re: Oh by Hendonboy13/1/2015 19:11Tue Jan 13 19:11:43 2015

Previous thread: Anthony Thomas by richhend12/1/2015 22:10Mon Jan 12 22:10:57 2015view thread