Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Hampton by rwakeley27/7/2021 15:37Tue Jul 27 15:37:13 2021view thread

Pre-season thoughts - Part 1

By rwakeley21/7/2021 09:36Wed Jul 21 09:36:13 2021

Views: 1061

Last night. Good! Stirred plenty of thoughts. Just read the Facebook comments from those present. Treading over some old ground. I think some context is required. I went several years ago to St Neots and I would imagine the performances were similar. Firstly. at this stage, it's all pretty makeshift. Secondly, these games for me hold no real gravitas but nonetheless I have some issues - and most for me have been present since joining the Southern.
I don't like 3 at the back. I maintain it's too expansive and give opponents way too much opportunity to exploit spaces.
I have been an advocate from day 1 that the top sides in this division have that man in front of the defence - the Tingey/Brewer type. I would say that Luke may not have been the best qualified in that role - the way I see the present squad we have several candidates - a real blessing. As with the Euro's the best defence won the day. In a league with the highest propensity of goals per game, that notion for me is really the key. I know many were be-moaning the amount of goals we shipped in last season - for what 8 games was worth! I think the midfield and how we set up there is the problem.
I believe in patterns and maintain they exist - until I'm convinced they no longer exist. I worry about our second half performances, particularly at home. Games not put to bed become stretched, especially around the hour mark and subs made, for me exasperate the dynamic. I think things need to be more controlled. The McCann second half late shows demonstrated this to the positive. I worry when we get a corner - about being hit on the counter 30 seconds later. That suggests to me we are not quite there. As to how that issue remains, time will tell. It was present in the penultimate game I went to at Harringay, and I would envisage despite the changes ext, it was there in an underlying sense last night. I want convincing on that point.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: Re: Pre-season thoughts - Part 2 by rwakeley21/7/2021 09:47Wed Jul 21 09:47:21 2021

Previous thread: LSC Final by rwakeley31/5/2021 22:23Mon May 31 22:23:07 2021view thread